ENVE seatpost head slippage

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

81kgs for me...no carbon paste and never a slip
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

drmutley

by drmutley

r3awak3n wrote:I just bought a enve post to replace a thomson masterpiece, now this thread got me worried. I havent installed it yet and will probably put carbon paste right away. I am not the lightest person out there, hope I don't regret it cuz the masterpiece was an awesome seatpost, I just hated the look of the setback.

I love the post... Very easy to setup and looks the ducks guts... Just gotta keep it in the same spot!

Given the force down I put on it, it's surprising it slips just a little, and doesn't just collapse!

My main issue is purely the amount of downward force I exert on the saddle nose - being porky, plus running the saddle all the way forwards, and then sitting on the saddle nose time trialling on bumpy roads = big leverage down... I'm sure with a little bit more torque and carbon paste it won't move at all....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmutley

by drmutley

Pulled it all apart last night and was a little alarmed to find the one of the wedges has chewed into the post head... I assume this is because constant slippage as the bolt has been loosening. Carbon pasted and loctited now so hopefully the damage to the inside of the post head won't matter... Tomorrow in the hills I guess will be the test! [emoji106]

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Yea, I've had the wedge dig into the internal aluminum sleeve as well. This happens when the head slips and finally digs in to stop.

You can clean it up with some light sand paper. Mild locktite is a good idea.

Bukes

by Bukes

81kg here, and have had both straight and offset versions of this post on my bikes for the past 4 years or so. I've not seen any slippage yet.

What I have seen is what happens when you over-torque that bolt - It fails spectacularly, and the little wedges that were previously under tension go flying to points unknown. (It wasn't me, but I watched it happen to a friend of mine in his shop who was too lazy to reach for his torque wrench...)

spartan

by spartan

enve admits defeat. complete redesign.

never a fan of there overpriced seatpost/stem/handlebars. made in asia. good quality. branding exercise

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

drmutley

by drmutley

UPDATE:
FAIL!

Descending at 80kmh today... Hit small bump while seated... Heard an almighty CRACK... Thought the saddle must've broken, but it was just the seatpost slipping.... Nose dropped 10-15mm... Scared the shit out of me! I'm loosing patience with this post!!

So, as above, carbon paste was used, and blue thread locker Loctite used on the bolt.

When I pulled over the re-level my saddle, the bolt was not torqued to what I had torqued it to, suggesting despite the Loctite, it had worked its way loose...

Tonite, I'll re-loctite, and re-torque the bolt....

Saddle after slippage (was level before ride)

drmutley

by drmutley

spartan wrote:enve admits defeat. complete redesign.

never a fan of there overpriced seatpost/stem/handlebars. made in asia. good quality. branding exercise

That's interesting!!!!

erik$

by erik$

@drmytley: have you considered flipping the post 180 degrees? The Enve zero is more like 5 mm offset than straight. I'm not really fan of it aesthetically but with such a forward position I would think the looks actually would improve as well, and most importantly the rails would be a little more centered on the post.

drmutley

by drmutley

erik$ wrote:@drmytley: have you considered flipping the post 180 degrees? The Enve zero is more like 5 mm offset than straight. I'm not really fan of it aesthetically but with such a forward position I would think the looks actually would improve as well, and most importantly the rails would be a little more centered on the post.

I could flip the post, although that pic with the huge tilt makes the forward position quite extreme...

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Buy a frame that fits! :)

All joking aside, the seat tube angle on the Cervelo clearly is too slack for you.

Now, I've had issues with Enve post before... but you're really asking a lot of a single bolt post with the saddle jacked that far forward. I know you don't want to hear that, most likely, but It's a borderline ridiculous position. If you had a more conventional zero setback post, like a Thomson or 3T doric, you couldn't even position the saddle that far forward, because the rear most bend in the rail would contact the cradle.

drmutley

by drmutley

Briscoelab wrote:Buy a frame that fits! :)

All joking aside, the seat tube angle on the Cervelo clearly is too slack for you.

Now, I've had issues with Enve post before... but you're really asking a lot of a single bolt post with the saddle jacked that far forward. I know you don't want to hear that, most likely, but It's a borderline ridiculous position. If you had a more conventional zero setback post, like a Thomson or 3T doric, you couldn't even position the saddle that far forward, because the rear most bend in the rail would contact the cradle.

Yep ur right... Asking a lot of the post... And the enve post is clearly not capable of delivering... Demanding position of long legs with long tibias.... At the end of the day, I had no issues maintaining a rock solid saddle angle with either the FSA or 3T ionic post, so I guess I can always go back to them [emoji106]

Any suggestions on a racing frame with an appropriate STA??? As u can see I need to run a 130mm -17 stem with deep drops to get anywhere near my position...
Last edited by drmutley on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

xena
Banned

by xena

Please try some clear coat. Brush some on at the contact point. When you tighten it should squish and give you a good grip.
Also if you do the same for your seat post and it will not slip. You have to let the clear dry and gradually build up the layers for a tight fit.

If all else fails try a combo.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmutley

by drmutley

xena wrote:Please try some clear coat. Brush some on at the contact point. When you tighten it should squish and give you a good grip.
Also if you do the same for your seat post and it will not slip. You have to let the clear dry and gradually build up the layers for a tight fit.

If all else fails try a combo.

Thanks mate, will do, although the bolt staying torqued seems to be the issue now... Cheers