ENVE seatpost head slippage

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

how long did you allow the loctite to setup... I know overnight is usually ok... but 24hours would be even better.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brownish

by brownish

spartan wrote:enve admits defeat. complete redesign.

Where is the picture of the redesign from? NAHBS?

drmutley

by drmutley

spdntrxi wrote:how long did you allow the loctite to setup... I know overnight is usually ok... but 24hours would be even better.

Put loctite on bolt then (over) torqued it up and left overnight... I fear it may still have some grease residue on the wedge thread, so if it continues to loosen then I'll soak the wedges in cleaner, instead of the quick clean with isopropyl alcohol.

Last night I've put loctite on the bolt and left it out to cure... I'll reassemble before my ride today and see...

Fingers crossed [emoji106]

drmutley

by drmutley

Success today - 100kms on rough roads and fast descents without any movement...

Only difference was I used some loctite primer on the thread of the wedge, and some blue loctite on the bolt. The bolt maintained its torque and hence didn't slip....

drmutley

by drmutley

ENVEs are sending me a new set of saddle wedges in response to the saddle wedge bolt losing torque and requiring loctite... Their support so far has been prompt, and excellent... Can't fault! [emoji106]

drmutley

by drmutley

Seems the 2-bolt seatpost heads are here!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/03/26/env ... ter-mount/

shellcda

by shellcda

I have an Enve 27.2 I have tried increased torque a little over the max 8nm, as well as friction paste to prevent slippage. I cannot tell if the wedge bolts are getting loose though. I give up. I have contacted Enve and now trying to work with the installer. They have changed the design of this post which seems to indicate they had issues. I have asked Enve if they had issues, but no response yet. Nice elegant design, but not if it doesn't perform in the field. I weigh 160 lbs. and am a gentle rider, but even tiny bumps cause slippage.

highdraw

by highdraw

r3awak3n wrote:I just bought a enve post to replace a thomson masterpiece, now this thread got me worried. I havent installed it yet and will probably put carbon paste right away. I am not the lightest person out there, hope I don't regret it cuz the masterpiece was an awesome seatpost, I just hated the look of the setback.

My opinion is you bought the wrong post. One bolt rotory posts suck. 10 ft-lbs on small hex...ridiculous.
A lot of good 2 bolt clamp microadjustable posts available from OEM to aftermarket.
My personal fav and popular in the pro peloton is FSA Kforce Light..comes straight and two different offsets.
Lightweight, mid flex, and best clamp in the industry. 2 bolt a la Thomson or go home. I prefer carbon posts to Thomson and have owned a boat load of Thomson posts and stems.

highdraw

by highdraw

drmutley wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:how long did you allow the loctite to setup... I know overnight is usually ok... but 24hours would be even better.

Put loctite on bolt then (over) torqued it up and left overnight... I fear it may still have some grease residue on the wedge thread, so if it continues to loosen then I'll soak the wedges in cleaner, instead of the quick clean with isopropyl alcohol.

Last night I've put loctite on the bolt and left it out to cure... I'll reassemble before my ride today and see...

Fingers crossed [emoji106]

The bolt isn't loosening and what you are doing won't fix it.
Best solution for crappy one bolt posts is as mentioned...use carbon paste on the interference clutch and overtorque the bolt to 12 ft-lbs or so..about 2 ft-lbs over spec.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Best solution for crappy one bolt posts is as mentioned...use carbon paste on the interference clutch and overtorque the bolt to 12 ft-lbs or so..about 2 ft-lbs over spec.

Best solution for crappy one bolt posts is to replace them with a good two bolt post. I had an Enve one bolt post, it kept slipping despite Lock-tite etc., so I got rid of it. I replaced it with the Enve 2-bolt post soon as it came out and no more troubles.

Imo, though, Enve bars, posts and stems are overpriced. I built up another bike this summer and used a two bolt 3T carbon post and have had no problems. (And instead of an Enve bar, I have a Deda carbon bar which I much prefer).

highdraw

by highdraw

eaglejackson wrote:

Best solution for crappy one bolt posts is to replace them with a good two bolt post. I had an Enve one bolt post, it kept slipping despite Lock-tite etc., so I got rid of it. I replaced it with the Enve 2-bolt post soon as it came out and no more troubles.

Imo, though, Enve bars, posts and stems are overpriced. I built up another bike this summer and used a two bolt 3T carbon post and have had no problems. (And instead of an Enve bar, I have a Deda carbon bar which I much prefer).

Pretty astounding really just how many one bolt seatposts are out there...including from the OEM like Specialized, Trek, Cervelo...a long list. They SUCK...every one of them.
In fact, I personally won't purchase a bike like a Spesh Venge or say Cervelo S3 because of their crappy proprietary seat post and one bolt clamp design. No problem with Tarmac however as you can change the post...std. 27.2...and Spesh inexplicably has intermingled one and two bolt posts on their Sworks bikes...like they are schizophrenic...lol. As it turns out, few things spoil a good group ride more than riding over rough road and the GD seatpost clamp slips. 2 bolt clamps can't slip by design. Inexcusable really.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

My enve one bolt post has been fine. No slipping whatsoever. And two others in my group have them as well without issue.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Highdraw, I agree. I hesitated on buying the Enve 1 bolt design and regret that I did. Obviously Enve recognizes it was a problem because they redesigned the post with two bolts. It's not as elegant but it doesn't slip. I got tired of carrying a torq key with me to re-adjust and re-tighten my seatpost on rides. For now on, I'm sticking with two bolt designs.

trex021

by trex021

goodboyr wrote:My enve one bolt post has been fine. No slipping whatsoever. And two others in my group have them as well without issue.

I'm surprised at all the Enve post bashing. I've had mine for a couple years: 27.2mm, zero setback, 75kg. Never the slightest slip. I will say the clamp on mine is right in the middle of the rails. That setup with the OP's saddle so far forward is pretty sketchy.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Yup. Mines at middle too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com