ENVE seatpost head slippage

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drmutley

by drmutley

Hi all,
Some advice if I may please.... Apologies if this has been covered, although a quick tapatalk iphone search didn't bring much up on WW...

I have issues with my saddle tilt increasing on rides due to saddle head slippage. I have an ENVE 27.2, straight, seatpost, coupled to a Fizik Arione with Kium rails. I run very little setback with my bike position, so the saddle is mounted in its most forward position. I weigh 80kg (176lbs) at my heaviest. I am finding my saddle angle (nose) dropping about 5mm per 2 hr ride which is starting to annoy me. I am also finding that the bolt is losing torque mid ride, and requires tightening as it has come loose.

I have installed the saddle as per the video & instructions. There is no grease or contamination on the round surfaces of the post, and this has been repeatedly inspected & cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. A small amount of grease has been applied to the flat surfaces of the wedges, and to the bolt.

I am running the maximum torque of 12nm with the CORRECT wedges installed (not the 7x9 wedges) I am reluctant to tighten the bolt any or use further excessive torque.

I understand that I am on the heavier side, and with my saddle all the way forward, this is providing a reasonable sized lever arm for my weight to cause slippage. Also I spend a reasonable amount of time on the nose of the saddle in a time trial like position on longer, flat rides.

Does anyone have any tricks that may help me? Some sort of non-slip substance on the round surfaces of the post maybe? Carbon paste? Slip fit bearing Loctite compound? Remove grease from bolt and wedge thread? Use weak loctite thread locker compound on thread?

Besides the slippage issues I love this post. Easy to set up my position, and looks good. If only it would stay put! Any suggestions from other ENVE post users appreciated.

Cheers
Harry

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

Harry - I had the same problem, and just ended up tightening the bolt more.

FYI: I'm 150lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

+1 ^

superdx

by superdx

Try some carbon paste - the purpose of the stuff is to increase friction for carbon parts, assuming your post is actually carbon. If you've cleaned off your post using isopropyl alcohol then that would make the post even more slippery. If the post material is not carbon, it could still help increase friction though it'll probably scratch up the paint on the aluminium a fair bit.

Bogan

by Bogan

I have had the same issue with an offset Enve post, except it happened when I was on the rear of the saddle, hit a bump/hole, and the saddle tilted down on the rear a bit. i have been using the clamps for oval rails which the torque limit is 8nm. I have taken it to 10nm and it still slipped. Mind you it may have had something to do with the 100kg blob, sorry Adonis :lol: , sitting on it. I have now taken it out and gone to an MCFK post. Pity, the Enve post is very elegant. I may go back to the Enve sometime.
Last edited by Bogan on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Svetty

by Svetty

I always find that I need to over-torque the cradle bolts despite using paste etc. I've never crushed the saddle rails yet (but accept that there's always a first time :D ).

llhh

by llhh

Not entirely sure what wedge size is correct and what not, but I switched the oversized wedges for the standard ones and the problem is gone, although after measuring the rails the first time it seemed that I should use the oversize bits.

I am using SLR Kit Carboino, weighing in at 70kgs.
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

drmutley

by drmutley

Love the input so far guys... Many thanks...
I find my bolt comes loose during a ride hence some of the reason the saddle slips... Should I use a mild thread locker Loctite on the bolt?

xena
Banned

by xena

Try some clear coat. Build it up around the contact points for a nice snug fit. Then use carbon paste and you should not have to tighten up to much.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

spookyload

by spookyload

Carbon paste will solve your problem.

drmutley

by drmutley

I'll try the easy/reversible options first and run with some carbon paste and see how I get on.....

I contacted RNVE for advice, and they suggested carbon paste as the first step as well..., I will report back on my progress... Thanks guys [emoji106]

duende

by duende

I'm built like a tree trunk so I weigh in at 90Kg. With that said I found that some carbon paste at the wedge contact points (Only to the post itself) and cranking the bolt solved my slippage problems.

Fwiw, I use a carbon rail prologo scratch saddle too. And have seen no damage whatsoever to my saddle.

1st post here btw. Love this board. I could never "tune" my bike like some do here, but I still admire all the efforts going on. :)

drmutley

by drmutley

duende wrote:I'm built like a tree trunk so I weigh in at 90Kg. With that said I found that some carbon paste at the wedge contact points (Only to the post itself) and cranking the bolt solved my slippage problems.

Fwiw, I use a carbon rail prologo scratch saddle too. And have seen no damage whatsoever to my saddle.

1st post here btw. Love this board. I could never "tune" my bike like some do here, but I still admire all the efforts going on. :)

Welcome! Cheers for the input [emoji106]

Ozrider

by Ozrider

If the bolt is coming loose use a bit of Loctite on the threads.
I weigh about 90kg, been using my Enve post for about 4 years. Had a few problems early on, but 10nm and some Loctite has seen no issues since.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I just bought a enve post to replace a thomson masterpiece, now this thread got me worried. I havent installed it yet and will probably put carbon paste right away. I am not the lightest person out there, hope I don't regret it cuz the masterpiece was an awesome seatpost, I just hated the look of the setback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com