ENVE seatpost head slippage

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

highdraw

by highdraw

trex021 wrote:
goodboyr wrote:My enve one bolt post has been fine. No slipping whatsoever. And two others in my group have them as well without issue.

I'm surprised at all the Enve post bashing. I've had mine for a couple years: 27.2mm, zero setback, 75kg. Never the slightest slip. I will say the clamp on mine is right in the middle of the rails. That setup with the OP's saddle so far forward is pretty sketchy.

Where on the rails matters for sure because of the moment i.e. force X distance from post pivot center to rider CG...like a big lever.
But rider weight matters as well and even strength of a rider as stronger riders push harder on the pedals which reduces rider weight on the saddle...lower handlebar matters because more weight is on the hands and a road quality matters as well. Billiard smooth roads will likely not dislodge a single bolt post torqued to spec. Rough road or a pot hole hit will expose the robustness of a post clamp design. Even a two bolt torqued to low side of spec will generally creak on a big hit exposing the stress on a seat post clamp when a good size rider hits real rough road...difference being a 2 bolt clamp can't slip/change saddle tilt angle by design.

And if you want to dig deeper about design philosophy, your comment trex encapsulates what design is and more importantly isn't. Design can create a parallel universe and more common than not. A good or bad design isn't exposed by a nominal condition...average rider weight riding on smooth roads in the case of a seat post....or say smooth roads when evaluating ride quality of an uber stiff racing frameset...an uber stiff frame will ride perfectly on billard smooth roads....or a 130 lb rider as a litmus test of creating a crank creak with BB30. These conditions don't expose a marginal design. Proof positive is the varied response here. One could even do a regression on data collected and draw some inferences like...those posts that slip are generally ridden more off center on the rails...rider weight is higher...handlebar is higher relative to the saddle...posts slip more on rough roads etc. So design is based upon a bell curve of riders and conditions. A robust design by definition will cover the entire spectrum of environmental conditions and this is where a 2 bolt clamp is preferred by many riders over a 1 bolt clamp. People's perception about a given design is based upon the lens he or she peers through.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com