Fuji transonic vs altamira - thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thewallace

Thank you for the update. Did you get a chance to record the weight of the frame & fork? And what size is your frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thewallace

by thewallace

My complete module with everything attached came in at 1791grams in a 56cm with a chopped steerer

That Included frame, fork, post, all headset accessories, integrated chain catcher, hanger bolts etc.

que123456

by que123456

thewallace wrote:My complete module with everything attached came in at 1791grams in a 56cm with a chopped steerer

That Included frame, fork, post, all headset accessories, integrated chain catcher, hanger bolts etc.

Pics plz

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

thewallace wrote:My complete module with everything attached came in at 1791grams in a 56cm with a chopped steerer

Thanks. That's a pretty good weight. My 54cm Altamira comes in at 1591g. I don't have a chain catcher. So perhaps the aero 'penalty' for a frame my size is about 100g.

thewallace

by thewallace

Fuji claimed that it was around 100 heavier then the Altamira from memory, so that sounds about right. I'll track down some pic's and post them up.

If DMan is right, hopefully there is a new Altamira coming which I'd imagine will be pretty light, Fuji have a pretty good track record with lightweight carbon

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm also interested in the weights of the D.A. integrated brakes since I cannot reuse my Red brakes. I have no clue whether the integrated brakes or lighter or heavier than traditional brakes.

joepac

by joepac

BeeSeeBee wrote:It's pretty damn aero from what I've seen (courtesy of Andrew Coggan on Slowtwitch)

Mind you, this is also with the Cervelo's new aero road bars vs the round Oval bars on the Fuji. I really like that they did dual direct mount. The bike was one of my top choices, but I opted against it since we didn't have any data, but now that we do, it's quite clearly a fast frame. :thumbup: Fuji, I liked my SST as well.

http://www.tour-magazin.de/technik/test ... 34659.html

Here's the tour test. They did not find the Transonic to be quite as aero as the picture above, but seemed to rate it as a good overall bike that is aero. At least that is what I can make out from the Chrome translated page. I would personally pick the transonic over the altimara because I am a sprinter and know aero will help me a lot more than a light bike. If you are a climber you might feel differently, but numbers say aero always wins.

Tour found a 56cm SL to be 1078g while the lower frame was 1200g. Decent for an aero bike. Certainly lighter than my 1300g Venge Pro.

What type of rider are you, what kind of races do you target, and what terrain do you ride? What is more important to you light and comfortable or aero? Those questions should give you a pretty good idea which frame to go for.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

That chart was actually based off the tour test you linked (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gfo ... st=5451240). Pretty close based on his eyeballing of the data, and like he mentioned, the Cervelo had aero road bars, while the Fuji had regular round ones.

jnsv

by jnsv

I would go with Altamira all day long. I ride my Altamira SL 1.3 more than my Cervelo R5 and Scott Addict TI combined....for a reason.

prebsy

by prebsy

thewallace wrote:Fuji claimed that it was around 100 heavier then the Altamira from memory, so that sounds about right. I'll track down some pic's and post them up.

If DMan is right, hopefully there is a new Altamira coming which I'd imagine will be pretty light, Fuji have a pretty good track record with lightweight carbon

Fyi new road bike from Fuji dropping on aug 20th the "SL" so that can help complicate the debate