First World Problem - Which bike to sell to fund new bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joelpace

by joelpace

I'm getting ready to build my next bike - a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX. However, I'm currently at my wife-imposed bike limit of 4 bikes. So, this is a problem of addition through subtraction. I have to sell one of my bikes to get the new bike. I'm having a hard time deciding. Here is the current stable:

2013 Wilier Zero.7 (Flouro Yellow), Campy Super Record Mechanical
2014 Wilier Centro SR (Matt Black/White), Campy Super Record EPS
2014 Merida Reacto EVO, Campy Super Record EPS
2013 Fondriest TF2 1.0, Campy Super Record/Record EPS

I'm leaning towards selling the Zero.7 because it is the oldest and they just came out with a new model. Also, it is the only bike I have that is mechanical. Of course, being mechanical is also a reason to keep it.

Selling the Merdia is out of the question because it took an act of Congress to get it here in the States. Plus, its my favorite bike out of all of them.

I love the Fondriest too because it is unusual and rides wonderfully.

Any thoughts/recommendations on which of my babies I should abandon and sell? :noidea:

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I would get rid of the wilier .7 and the merida and fondriest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

If you're getting the new aeroad... that's just like the Merida no? Personally I'd sell them all and get a climbing bike and a a TT bike to go with my aero bike.

ITTY

by ITTY

I want to get in whatever line of business you are in.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

You are doing this all wrong.

I spread my bikes around the basement, and keep moving them. Plus I have frames and parts in boxes. Beyond 4 or 5 it gets more difficult to count. It goes from 3 bikes to "a bunch of bikes" which means in my case 10. And even then it was only my nosy daughter asking. My wife just sees a bunch of bikes. My limit is self imposed. Plus you never talk about how much they cost.

Besides it's a hell of a lot cheaper than sailing.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

one black bike looks like any other black bike... she will never know you have a new one

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

@bikerjulio... :lol:

OP: it sounds like you've already decided to keep the Merida and the Fondriest, so that really narrows it down to one of the Wiliers. I think that's nice also because it means you'll have 4 bikes from 4 different companies. I'd guess the 0.7 is your lightest bike, so there's an argument for keeping that one, but then it's also the outdated one of the two. Personally I'd probably get rid of the 0.7, but then I'm biased since my new road bike is a Cento1 SR disc.

prebsy

by prebsy

@joelpace : speaking of first world problems how do you plan on getting your hands on the aeroad?

joelpace

by joelpace

I've got several friends in Europe. I have Canyon ship to them, then they ship to me. It's a pain, but it's worth it.

I'm leaning towards selling the Zero.7. Thanks for the input and the advice.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I wouldn't buy Canyon. I would save up for a superbike/ frame instead, which could be more interesting to you as i see you probably can afford.
Why not buy something that is more or less the best you can get at the date of purchase?
You don't need all those bikes, it's curiousity driven what you do.
Why not check, RCA, Rolo, Guru Photon HL, Ax Lightness Vial EVO D or something like that?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Racing2

by Racing2

4th world solution: sell the wife.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Except the Merida, the other 3 are so similar that I'd sell 2 of them at least.

sawyer

by sawyer

Lol bikerjulio - moving them around in parts is a hugely effective strategy yes, just becomes impossible for people to know what the hell is going on.

Sell them all except the one you like the most and buy the Canyon plus a super WW frame to build up
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Racing2 wrote:4th world solution: sell the wife.

I LOL'd.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have 11 bikes i tijnk mh wife thinks i have 7. I also keep the moving about so she never really knows what i have she normally sees about 3. She does not ask either Nor does she ask what they cost and i dont even know. It has taken a long while to get to this stage. The bikes were never allowed in the house at one point and my wife had a limit. Many years of patient disobediance by myself has it rewards now as there is one normally in the kitchen at all times. Our next house will have space inside for all of them and her 3 as well.

I would not sell one just be a bit defiant but my advise may not work in your relationship. i came to the conclusion a while back that my bikes and riding are as important to me as my wife and i wouldnt be able to give either up.