Help with size for Canyon Aeroad purchase

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mickiii

by mickiii

Medium (56) it is! - ordered and in the production queue :o) Thank you all for your help, I will surely post pictures once it arrives (sometime in May :cry: )

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

the Canyon is 73.5°, vs 73° on Cervelo that means you have to add another 0.5mm or so to the effective length.

With 110m stem on Cervelo you will have to ride a 90mm stem on the Canyon.. :(
Last edited by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Canyon is 73.5°, vs 73° that means you have to add another 0.5mm or so to the effective length.

no. saddle is just moved on the rails. saddle position should be related to BB not bars.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

jeffy wrote:
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Canyon is 73.5°, vs 73° that means you have to add another 0.5mm or so to the effective length.

no. saddle is just moved on the rails. saddle position should be related to BB not bars.

You are completely wrong

A 73.5° angle puts your more forward, that means you have to push the saddle backward in the rails

That means you increase the reach between saddle tip and bars, so you need a shorter stem

Got it?

The difference in TT length is not only the 1.5mm on paper, but probably 2.1 or 2.2mm for effective length

jeffy

by jeffy

when you said effective length i assumed you meant reach.

all the advice OP got was related to reach, and the reach data point is not impacted by seat tube angle (reach as a proportion of TT is however obviously).

how can you recommend a 90mm stem after seeing the data points below & consider the reach of the Canyon bars are -7mm from OP's current bars?

Got it?

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

No need to be sarcastic mate but sorry if I made a mistake

I don't understand you. There is 7 mm of difference with already a 100mm stem. Means it still fits longer.

I assume "bar X" is the reach between the vertical of BB and bars right?

jeffy

by jeffy

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Got it?

jeffy wrote:Got it?

just trying to point out there are perhaps better ways of phrasing things. no harm, no foul.

- it is easy to get mixed up with this stuff.
i initially thought a 90mm stem was best because i subtracted the drops reach difference from the wrong frame. :oops:

the graphic states basically the aero bars on the Aeroad are 7mm shorter than OPs which means that the X,Y would be identical
so basically subtract 7 mm from the Aeroad's reach and it is a little over 10mm longer than the S5 with more spacers / headset etc on the aeroad
this 'little over' is cancelled out it seems

(if the aeroad's bar/stem is -6 degree - personally i think it looks closer to -10 degree which would make it 1mm longer)

yes - X,Y in the graphic in the post above is co ordinates in relation to BB.
Last edited by jeffy on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Ok I see

Sorry if "got it" sounds smartass. English is not my native language not even my second one. ;)

jeffy

by jeffy

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ok I see

Sorry if "got it" sounds smartass. English is not my native language not even my second one. ;)

no worries, i appreciate that - and possibly was over sensitive.

Wish my competence riding a bike was as good as understanding replicating fit (which still isn't great!)

:beerchug:

IchDien

by IchDien

jeffy wrote:
difficult choice. but i would maybe go with the L

perhaps a way to think about it, is thinking of your current bike fit, which would be worse for the bars:
closer and lower, or further and higher - ?

Cheers, Jeff.

Personally I think I probably could have got away with a 54 on the Cervelo, and wondering whether to go -17º on the stem as I'm fairly flexible, which is what draws me to the M Canyon.

I think lower and shorter would be much more appreciated than higher and longer to be honest, however I don't want to be cramped.

I also like my bikes to show quite a bit of seatpost and with the flat top tube I think the canyon in L would look pretty awful.

jeffy

by jeffy

you would probably be better to go for one of the Aeroads that come without the Intergrated Bars, as then you would have more Stem options - and (n the worst case scenario) could work your flexibility and move down from a flipped stem - and get the Medium size. - or just get the Medium with the fancy bars and use Canyon's 30 day money back if it is too low. - and go for a Looooong test ride - i find that too low bars start to bring aches at ~ 3-4 hrs.

From reading a review the impression i got was that Canyon might be selling the integrated aero bars by themselves in the future. perhaps worth asking.

I am between Small and Medium on Giant Bikes - and i don't like the feel of being sat on a bike where for my size i am at the bottom end of the size chart. much prefer making a small bike bigger.

marlonkruis

by marlonkruis

jeffy wrote:cyclenutnz, what program is that?

Would like to know that too :D

Through something like Slowtwitch?

boots2000

by boots2000

What is your saddle height?
By your prior bike description I am going to say that a Canyon Aeroad is not the bike for you.
You are going to have a small with a pile of spacers or a medium with a really short stem (and likely barely any seatpost coming out of the frame).
I think neither is a good option for you- get a new S3.

mickiii wrote:Hi,

Time for a new bike, this time my eyes are set on the new Canyon Aeroad CF SLX, however I am not sure about the sizes. I currently ride a Cervelo S5 size 54, which fits me fine. I am 1.78 cm, 70kg and inseam is about 82 cm. I have a longish torso, and rather small legs. When I use Canyon's online calculator, it suggests a size 53 (S). I have tried to compare the two geometries, but I do not have proper knowledge about this, to estimate whether this size is correct, so I am hoping someone in here can help me decide. Unfortunately I live far from a Canyon showroom, so I have no way of trying it before buying.

For easier reference, here are the comparable geometries (as far as I can see), for the S5 and the Aeroad in S an M.

Cervelo S5
Head tube Angle: 73,1
Top Tube: 548
Head Tube Length: 148
Rear Centre: 405
Stack: 555
Reach: 378
Effective Seat Tube Angle: 73

Canyon Aeroad (S)
Head tube Angle: 72,75
Top Tube: 549
Head Tube Length: 130
Rear Centre: 410
Stack: 533
Reach: 391
Effective Seat Tube Angle: 73,5

Canyon Aeroad (M)
Head tube Angle: 73,25
Top Tube: 560
Head Tube Length: 147
Rear Centre: 410
Stack: 551
Reach: 397
Effective Seat Tube Angle: 73,5

Thanks in advance :D

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

marlonkruis wrote:Would like to know that too :D

Through something like Slowtwitch?

That's not even the clever bit of the tool.
The clever bit automatically works out which bikes match your position best.

As for what the tool is, all I can say is soon...

marlonkruis

by marlonkruis

Well looks good indeed and that part automation seems very logical in 2015 ;-)
What do you need on that position part of it to run in through?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com