Specialized unveils aggressive position Power road saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

The Merek NPS saddle I was using for a while was short like this new Specialized model and probably the most comfortable saddle I've ever used except for one feature - saddle setback. It looks like the Specialized saddle has a bit longer rails so it should be better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

I tried this saddle before it was released as I know a guy that knows some guys that wanted some feedback. Per BG fit I am very, very flexible and have been on a Romin but not without issue. They wanted an opinion on the Power so I tried out a few widths and padding densities.

My conclusion is it doesn't make sense unless you have serious pelvic rotation issues. I liked it, but didn't find it necessary if that makes any sense. I might try another version again in a month after a block of racing, but what I noticed most was that you don't know what you have (with a saddle nose) until its gone. I didn't like having zero nose whatsoever found that there were times when I sort of wished I could move a tad bit more forward. The channel is very nice and I hope they use the same design on the next iteration of their other saddles.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

5DII

by 5DII

It is available to order on the Specialized website now. I just placed an order.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

5DII wrote:It is available to order on the Specialized website now. I just placed an order.

I'm waiting for my local mikes bikes to have their mega sale (this month)... gotta have a white S-works version.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

velojosh

by velojosh

I just tested one of these at my local Specialized dealer. Quick 30min ride felt awesome. Contemplating getting one.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

KWalker wrote:My conclusion is it doesn't make sense unless you have serious pelvic rotation issues. I liked it, but didn't find it necessary if that makes any sense. I might try another version again in a month after a block of racing, but what I noticed most was that you don't know what you have (with a saddle nose) until its gone. I didn't like having zero nose whatsoever found that there were times when I sort of wished I could move a tad bit more forward. The channel is very nice and I hope they use the same design on the next iteration of their other saddles.

KWalker, I am curious to hear your take on the short nose design, in terms of what benefit it is supposed to offer. You seem to have a good analytical perspective in general, and also some experience on other BG saddles, so you understand that the perineal pressure relief from a center channel is not necessarily related to the length of the nose. In other words, if you kept the shape and profile of the power saddle identical, and simply extended the nose a few inches, wouldn't that allow the same forward pelvic rotation and perineal relief, while still allowing one to slide forward a bit if the situation called for it?

(Sorry if the following is too vividly described!) I can see that if one is suffering from problems from pressure on your testes, then hanging your boys "off the front" of a short nosed saddle could be advantageous but, in my experience, it is perineal pressure not testicular pressure that is problematic for 99% of people trying to achieve a low position with forward pelvic rotation.

I have ridden an array of Spz BG, WTB, and SMP saddles with pressure relief channels over the years. While I have, many times, wished for a different profile, wider center channel, softer edged center channel (on those terrible ones with a hard seam running the perimeter) etc...I have never said to myself "cutting off the front couple inches of this saddle (that I'm not sitting on anyway) would really take this to the next level". Maybe I am underestimating how short this nose really is from the pics, and it actually does end back under the perineum, but it doesn't look like it.

tinozee

by tinozee

Kaiser, your first paragraph describes exactly why I will stick with the adamo breakaway and use every inch of it.

Noseless just limits you to the reaerward position for road. Or, you could move it up and have only forward/tt style. Sure you can rotate at pelvis, but you are stuck at that one spot. The adamo is so damn good because it's got both - the ability to rotate and get aero, and the design that allows you to use the ENTIRE length. The key with the front part of it is that you can actually sit out on the thick prongs way longer than on a tiny tip, like some of the other saddles that try to extend the channel. I see some of these saddles like the selle italias and fiziks with long channels but the tips are so tiny it would not match my bones and would feel like a sharp dildo to sit out on the tip.

The only downside to the Adamo, Cobb and Dash styles is that they are hella ugly. Once under the butt it doesn't matter. And they are heavy too, but ISM just developed an all carbon attack that weighs 180g.

The only reason racers used to cut the tip off of saddles was to move them forward and still stay within UCI rules.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I will probably pick one up next week.. I held the 143 and 155's and they felt pretty light. They don't make S-Works in white that I know of.. so thats a bummer, so black 143 it is. I heard that specialized is recommending ppl move the seat back 3cm on the rails compared to were you current road saddle is ?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

KWalker

by KWalker

TheKaiser wrote:
KWalker wrote:My conclusion is it doesn't make sense unless you have serious pelvic rotation issues. I liked it, but didn't find it necessary if that makes any sense. I might try another version again in a month after a block of racing, but what I noticed most was that you don't know what you have (with a saddle nose) until its gone. I didn't like having zero nose whatsoever found that there were times when I sort of wished I could move a tad bit more forward. The channel is very nice and I hope they use the same design on the next iteration of their other saddles.

KWalker, I am curious to hear your take on the short nose design, in terms of what benefit it is supposed to offer. You seem to have a good analytical perspective in general, and also some experience on other BG saddles, so you understand that the perineal pressure relief from a center channel is not necessarily related to the length of the nose. In other words, if you kept the shape and profile of the power saddle identical, and simply extended the nose a few inches, wouldn't that allow the same forward pelvic rotation and perineal relief, while still allowing one to slide forward a bit if the situation called for it?

(Sorry if the following is too vividly described!) I can see that if one is suffering from problems from pressure on your testes, then hanging your boys "off the front" of a short nosed saddle could be advantageous but, in my experience, it is perineal pressure not testicular pressure that is problematic for 99% of people trying to achieve a low position with forward pelvic rotation.

I have ridden an array of Spz BG, WTB, and SMP saddles with pressure relief channels over the years. While I have, many times, wished for a different profile, wider center channel, softer edged center channel (on those terrible ones with a hard seam running the perimeter) etc...I have never said to myself "cutting off the front couple inches of this saddle (that I'm not sitting on anyway) would really take this to the next level". Maybe I am underestimating how short this nose really is from the pics, and it actually does end back under the perineum, but it doesn't look like it.

I'm honestly torn on it a bit. I like the same saddle on all bikes and on both my road and MTB a nose is nice even if it's short. For example today I did a road race with extremely bumpy pavement and there were plenty of times where the nose was really nice on the descent when I was jarred at 30MPH. With a MTB sometimes you really need to pick your butt up and get over the BB on a short climb.

With that said I ride a Romin and my biggest issue with it is that there is a plastic hard bit near the front of the cutout that does give me issues on occasion. I have a pretty aggressive pelvic angle due to a high amount of natural flexibility as well as my build and sometimes that spot produces pressure unless I run the saddle so the middle is perfectly level (nose well below tail). With the Toupe I was -1 degree nose down, same with an Arione and most flat saddles. The Toupe cutout is pretty small and in general the nose is even harder than the Romin. I am considering the Phenom or switching brands soon.

With the Power you can't move anywhere, at all. I don't buy the theory that you should only rotate your pelvis. Coming from a background in other sports, if you did this you would move your knees over the BB, but you would also lose your balance if the move was too great. If you think of the power movements or power sports they all involve pushing the hips backwards to some degree. Rotating the pelvis in a lot of cases simply tightens the hamstrings and doesn't necessarily engage the glutes. What I found riding the power was that there were times where I got very aggressive and wished the nose were about 1-2cm longer. Like the Phenom but with a better cutout. I also don't have any functional or physical issues that prevent proper hip rotation, but those that do might not be functional enough to move under load and would be better off with it.

The best thing to do is simply try one. Most dealers allow returns within 30 days. I might play with the test saddle more as I have the time to see if perhaps moving it slightly fore/aft might give me a better result.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KWalker

by KWalker

spdntrxi wrote:I will probably pick one up next week.. I held the 143 and 155's and they felt pretty light. They don't make S-Works in white that I know of.. so thats a bummer, so black 143 it is. I heard that specialized is recommending ppl move the seat back 3cm on the rails compared to were you current road saddle is ?

If you ride a Speci saddle use the same number on the rails. Otherwise try to match the saddle flare when looking from above since that is where your hips end up. With Speci saddles it does result in 3cm more setback, but with other brands its hard to tell.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ thanks... currently using a Bontrager Paradigm XXX
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Purchased!

too bad my enve wedge is on the way out... it's toast now...so trying to source another clamp quickly.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

PIPO

by PIPO

Interesting design...not sure if it will work for me. I've been using specialized saddles in 143mm and recently tried a 130mm long nose San Marcos and liked it better.
Jamis Xenith SL

dumptruk

by dumptruk

You'd think they could lower the weight more having a portion of the saddle completely missing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

did a couple shortish trainer rides with no chamois... and it was very comfortable considering that... more so then my existing Bontrager Paradigm XXX which gives me no issues 100+ miles..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault