Ultra-Torque OS-Fit integrated cups BB30 68x42, No O-ring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Just received a set of Ultra-Torque OS-Fit integrated cups BB30 68x42 Cups, and have found they do not have o-ring grooves and o-rings. Perhaps Campy no longer uses them. Can't find any info out there and was wondering if any here has seen this as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

No, but I have to think they were redundant and Campy did away with them in the reworked version.

FWIW I have a set that I pressed in completely dry in 2010 into a Cannondale Supersix that have stayed rock solid. I don't think O rings had anything to do with that.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Yes I agree that the o-ring may be redundant, but it largely relies on what sort of barrier takes its place. I believe its design intent was to keep water from entering the bearings from the inside. If the assembly is done with loctite then I doubt there will be a problem. Not sure about a dry press fit though.

Was kind of surprised as all forms of documentation that came with the box, including the photo on the outside and on-line/web site documentation shows the o-ring.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

The O-rings sit on the outer face of the cup against the frame - so water bypassing them from the inside would actually end up on the outside of the cup and then frame, rather than at the bearings. Water from the outside could perhaps enter the frame this way but many anyway have access for water in / out of the bb area.

If anything I would suspect that the rings could interfere with a good interference fit between frame and cup, rather than contributing to it.