Migrating compression plug

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

How much torque are you using to take the preload out? Is it possible despite the 5 mm spacer that as you tighten it, the steerer tube top is below the stem and spacer? I've had instances where the right gap is there prior to tightening for preload, but there's enough play in the system that the gap disappears when tightening. That way you will be pulling up on the expander as you tighten. Try another him spacer on top of the 5 to be sure.

em3

by em3

drmutley wrote:Yes, it's being torqued correctly and is the right size. I'd just suggest that the 20mm of plug isn't providing enough resistance to prevent migrating up when the top cap is torqued. Hence why I thought a longer plug maybe useful. I've received my S5 back today so I will steal the compression plug out of that and trial....

The only size that matters is the outer diameter of the plug and whether its compatible with the inner diameter of ur steertube. The length of the plug has nothing to do with it (e.g. I use the Extralite Ultrastar plug which is a mere 10mm tall and it holds fine in my fork becaue it is compatible with the inner diameter of my fork). Also, make sure that ur stem top cap inner lip is not bottoming out on top of ur fork, otherwise, u will never be able to get proper preload even with a properly fixed compression plug. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmutley

by drmutley

Thanks guys,
Problem solved... The plug was faulty, and replacing it did the trick... Seems the thread in the plug was stuffed, and although it was tightening in an upwards direction, it wasn't expanding with sufficient torque for it to seat into the steerer...

Stock Cervelo plug fixed it...

Now to tackle my slipping Seatpost and ENVE saddle head!

Vagabond

by Vagabond

That happened to a Colnago plug of mine. Sweat probably corroded the screw as I spend a fair bit of time on rollers in the winter.
Colnago e Campagnolo