Migrating compression plug

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drmutley

by drmutley

Hi all,
Some advice on a decent compression plug. Currently in running a pro plug in my R5 2015 cervelo but I'm having trouble with it migrating up and loosening the headset preload... Anyone suggest a good (long) plug that might fix my issues?

Cheers
Harry

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

If you are losing headset bearing preload, then you stem bolts aren't tight enough. Once preload is set and stem tightened, you should technically be able to take the compression plug and cap off and put them in a drawer. Now I did not say ride like that, but migrating expander is just a symptom of another issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Are you using friction paste between stem and steerer?

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Harry,
look at this, please:
http://itm.it/itm/wp-content/uploads/20 ... ems-en.pdf

and here you are long expander (with collar):
http://itm.it/itm/products/accessories/components-2/
- 64 g.
or Deda new long expander (70mm)
or shorter Enve

and without collar:
http://www.pro-bikegear.com/en-gb/catal ... ander-long

kode54

by kode54

i'm using extralite expanders in my carbon steerers with no issue. i switched from the Enve ones that sit on top to expander than rests inside the steerer.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

drmutley

by drmutley

Marin wrote:Are you using friction paste between stem and steerer?

Yeah used some carbon paste...

drmutley

by drmutley

fifarafa wrote:Harry,
look at this, please:
http://itm.it/itm/wp-content/uploads/20 ... ems-en.pdf

and here you are long expander (with collar):
http://itm.it/itm/products/accessories/components-2/
- 64 g.
or Deda new long expander (70mm)
or shorter Enve

and without collar:
http://www.pro-bikegear.com/en-gb/catal ... ander-long

Thanks mate [emoji106]

drmutley

by drmutley

kode54 wrote:i'm using extralite expanders in my carbon steerers with no issue. i switched from the Enve ones that sit on top to expander than rests inside the steerer.

I'll check them out kode...

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Harry,

You must answer the question as to what is expander for...
if for expanding steerer - get long with max support
if for lightweight - get extralite - but you need to know that this is illusion - in attached manual is that this expander should be installed "in the steer tube at 5 to10mm from the top." So there is any support in lower clamping area of the stem.

Svetty

by Svetty

WheresWaldo wrote:If you are losing headset bearing preload, then you stem bolts aren't tight enough. Once preload is set and stem tightened, you should technically be able to take the compression plug and cap off and put them in a drawer. Now I did not say ride like that, but migrating expander is just a symptom of another issue.

This. Whether the compression plug is moving or not the preload shouldn't vary if the stem is clamped properly on the steerer.

Check the steerer tube to ensure it isn't damaged allowing it to be compressed and hence allowing the stem to move up.

You might also check that you don't need a shim above the top headset race to ensure the compression is applied to the bearing and not the head-tube.

boots2000

by boots2000

I have had issues with this before.
1.) Yes- try paste
2.) Watch the video that Enve has for compression plug install- make sure all the pieces are greased as it shows. Also make sure that plug is tightened with torque wrench. Enve suggests 8nm.
3.) If all of this fails try to track down a Specialized compression plug. It is longer in length than an Enve type plug- seems to hold better.
I aslo find that some stems do not hold as well. Particularly Ti stems and some stems of the superlight variety.
Ritchey stems seem to hold nicely.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you could always go for a glue in piece, like the old alpha q's had. there is a place that sells them, forget the name though.

drmutley

by drmutley

Thanks guys... The main issue is it is slides up when adjusting the preload, hence I can't get a good load on the headset before tightening the stem bolts...

The steerer is not damaged.

I'm using an after market plug as my bike didn't ship with a plug..,

Using a 5mm spacer above to allow proper tensioning...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sounds like it's simply not rift enough in the steertube. You say it's an aftermarket expander. Is the diameter compatible with the inner diameter of your steertube? It should slide in when not tightened but not be sloppy. And this may be a dumb question, and sorry if it is, but you do know that there expander has to be tightened inside the tube before you add the top cap etc, right? There's usually two bolt kind of thing such as a 6mm bolt to tighten the expander in the steertube then the 5mm top cap bolt screws into that and compresses the stem etc to take out play. Cervelo's used to have a glue in alloy sleeve as another poster suggested which when glued you just use a normal starnut for alloy steerers. But when all is said and done it seems it has to be one of those things... 1) expander bolt not tight enough in steertube; 2) expander bolt not compatible with your steertube; 3) incorrect installation procedure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmutley

by drmutley

Yes, it's being torqued correctly and is the right size. I'd just suggest that the 20mm of plug isn't providing enough resistance to prevent migrating up when the top cap is torqued. Hence why I thought a longer plug maybe useful. I've received my S5 back today so I will steal the compression plug out of that and trial....