Surgery on Sram force shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Have a 10spd sram force rear shifter that I suspect is damaged as it only indexes 9 times. Obviously you can see the ratchet mechanism from where the cable port is. Has anyone had any luck disassembling the shifter? Next step is to replace shifter but thought if it is fixable it'd be worth a shot.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Unless I'm missing something, in a 10 speed system, you index 9 times to go from gear 1 to gear 10. Sounds like it's working as intended?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidalone

by davidalone

not that difficult. pop off the hood, use a small screwdriver to remove the screws on the plastic cover on the side, and your internals are exposed. further have a look at the sram shifters exploded view here: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... p?id=27535

It IS fixable but you need some pretty delicate fingers to do it. and not all parts are available.
10 speed shifters can be bought for peanuts on the 2nd hand marlket right now, may be better to go down that route.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

@kkibbler, yep thanks for spotting the typo there - shifter indexes 8 times, so have 9 useable gears atm.

@davidalone, thanks I was hunting for a diagram like that, will have a go with my not-so-delicate fingers ;)
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

flavourflav

by flavourflav

I have had that happen on a Force shifter. I solved the issue by spraying a generous amount of degreaser into the mechanism and applied a new coat of grease. Worked without problems for a further year or two and have since sold it.

etownfwd

by etownfwd

I rebuilt a 10sp SRAM rear shifter earlier this winter. It is mildly technical, but not difficult. However, I would consult the images in these links liberally.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109794&p=954518#p954518

http://www.cxmagazine.com/removing-sram-double-tap-shift-mechanism-single-ring

It is a little bit tricky to get everything reassembled and back to working order, but as I said it is by no means difficult. Good luck!

-efwd

bikemike488

by bikemike488

Probably the ratchet wheel is damaged. The last ridge has broken off. If that is the problem. This component is the same in right and left shifters. One side of the ratchet wheel is indexed for 2 shifts (LH) the other for 9 or 10. If you disassemble both shifters and switch right and left ratchet wheels you will be good to go. View the YouTube video "SRAM Doubletap shifter overhaul" to see what I'm talking about.

Marin

by Marin

bikemike488 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:17 am
Probably the ratchet wheel is damaged. The last ridge has broken off. If that is the problem. This component is the same in right and left shifters. One side of the ratchet wheel is indexed for 2 shifts (LH) the other for 9 or 10. If you disassemble both shifters and switch right and left ratchet wheels you will be good to go. View the YouTube video "SRAM Doubletap shifter overhaul" to see what I'm talking about.
Anyone know if this is still the case for 11s shifters?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Marin wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:28 pm
Anyone know if this is still the case for 11s shifters?
No, they're different now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com