Re: 2015 Campy Chorus/Record/SR vs. DA9000 reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Hey,

Its March and as far as I can tell, no decent/comprehensive reviews of the new campy groups have been published. There have obviously been press releases describing the tech changes, but I'm after real world riding impressions. There have been a few hints here and there on this forum, but there needs to be a place where impressions and insights are aggregated.

Thus, for those already on the 2015 campy groups, tell me how it shifts, what it feels like - its there a big click followed by a massive but delayed clunk as the chain cumbersomely shifts into gear (like SRAM), does it stays in tune, are there design flaws/problems (hinted at in another post)? Currently I'm riding DA9000 - its a smooth, efficient, set and forget grouppo. If you can make comparisons to the feel of DA or even SRAM Red for that matter, that would help clarify and situate the groups real performance. I'm not asking you to tell me which group is better, rather how their shifting performance feels - obviously both groups will perform well.

.....if it shifts anything like the new Red I wont touch it with a 10-foot pole... that stuff is inferior to DA IMO....
Last edited by zappafile123 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There were loads of reviews last year when Campy introduced the new line. Try Google.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

zappafile123

by zappafile123

bikerjulio wrote:There were loads of reviews last year when Campy introduced the new line. Try Google.

They are press releases, they tell you about the technology being introduced and the design philosophy. They dont tell you anything about what its like to ride, how it feels compared to previous generations of campy and/or other groups. I want a description of real-world sensations of actually riding the groupset, not a bunch of theory and marketing crap. There are a few words in an a velonews article as well a video from glory cycles and something on bicycling.com, but I think weightweenies people could do a better job.
Last edited by zappafile123 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I know there are at least a couple of threads on paceline praising 2015 campy, you could check there.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

zappafile123 wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:There were loads of reviews last year when Campy introduced the new line. Try Google.

They are press releases, they tell you about the technology being introduced and the design philosophy. They dont tell you anything about what its like to ride, how it feels compared to previous generations of campy and/or other groups. I want a description of real-world sensations of actually riding the groupset, not a bunch of theory and marketing crap. There are a few words in an a velonews article as well a video from glory cycles and something on bicycling.com, but I think weightweenies people could do a better job.

My very first google hit http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/bikes-and-tech/reviews/first-ride-campagnolo-revolution-11-mechanical-groupset_336976

One.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

bikerjulio wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:

My very first google hit http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/bikes-and-tech/reviews/first-ride-campagnolo-revolution-11-mechanical-groupset_336976

I just referenced that article... and by requesting information I'm implying that that article isnt doing the job - I want a comparative, real world review.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

r3awak3n wrote:I know there are at least a couple of threads on paceline praising 2015 campy, you could check there.

Thanks for the tip, there is some nice info there :)

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

If you are asking which is better - Shimano or Campy? The answer is that they both work fine and it is one of the most troll loved questions ever. Good luck and goodbye.

One.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

bikerjulio wrote:If you are asking which is better - Shimano or Campy? The answer is that they both work fine and it is one of the most troll loved questions ever. Good luck and goodbye.

Mate.... seriously, haven't you read a single thing I've said? Its not about which is better! That is a never ending debate. Its about comparing and contrasting the two groups. They *do* feel different, the point is to articulate *how* the feel different. By articulating that difference, you can then work out whether thats the kind of shift feel you want to live with on a day to day basis and ergo which group is 'better' for 'you'.

For example, if we talk about rear shifting in in DA9000 vs Red: The Red downshift paddle has a light, if slightly flimy/weak plasticy feel. When you down-shift, there is a loud hollow click followed by a short delay before the chain slams down on to the next cog. the word 'CLUNK' sums things up nicely. In contrast, the downshift paddle on DA feels rather solid and not as though its attached to the lever body by a stiff piece of string as on SRAM. The angle of motion the DA lever can take might be smaller than Red. The DA shifting sensation is noticeably smoother with a smaller delay between the lighter, less audible click and a crisp transition onto the lower cog. There isnt that big clunk.

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

I run Campy on most of my bikes. I put 2015 Chorus on my Speedvagen. IMO, new Campy shifts more softly in the rear mech. Scram has the strongest spring, Campy in the middle, & Shimhanho being "light". 2015 Campy feel has moved closer to the fishing real.

I prefer the stronger spring & wish I could find a bunch of RS Campy to stockpile. At least until wireless debuts. YMMV.

BTW, your question was legit. Other posters are cranky. They should ride their bikes more. :x

itguy

by itguy

I havent tried Campy 2015 yet but...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=campagnolo+2015+vs+dura+ace+9000

zappafile123

by zappafile123

itguy wrote:I havent tried Campy 2015 yet but...

Ummm if this forum isnt for asking peoples opinions about gear, then whats it for? If it wasnt already obvious enough in the previous comments google didnt cut the mustard. Why dont you try googling "2015 campagnolo vs dura ace 9000" and see how much relevant information you come up with.

russianbear

by russianbear

I guess it's been a long winter for a lot of people ;).

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Here's my "review" posted at Paceline:
TL/WR : 2015 Campy is Badazz

I'm one of those guys who thinks he can feel a difference in shifting between Super Record 11 and Chorus 11. And when I test ride buddies' bikes, I get a kick out of perceiving differences in how their Campy groups feel or perform. Sure it may be subjective, but every SRAM or Shimano equipped bike, when in perfect adjustment (rare for SRAM, obv) just feels like any other SRAM or Shimano bike. That may be a testament to engineering or it may be an indictment of Italian manufacturing "tolerances." In any case, it increases my connoisseur IQ and I get to make statements such as, "Chorus 10 is the best shifting system I've ever ridden." I know many of you feel the same.

Well, last year I purchased (multiple times), every level of Shimano 11s. I thoroughly enjoyed them all (although 6800 may have had some issues). I wouldn't begin to argue the merits of DA v Record 11 and my favorite bike gots 5800 on it. To repeat a cliche, the stuff just works.

So, what's my point (of course, you're thinking that)? Well, a few years ago I experienced my greatest disappointment with Campagnolo 11s; I used it on an internally routed aero frame. Shifting was sticky and misshifts occurred every 4th or 5th shift. And I was always trying to guide the chain up. Multiple mechanics worked on adjustments but the conclusion was always the same, extra friction from the cable routing. I guess I could have picked up a set of $200 weight weenie cables, but I'm a cheap bastard. Bottom line, when I recently picked up a C59, I thought hard about going with Shimano. Of course, I couldn't bring myself to do that and went with the obvious, Super Record 11. I'm sure you know where this is going. Yep, internal routing, crap shifting (for me at least, remember I think Chorus 10 is the GREATEST OF ALL TIMES).

OK, sold the SR and took a flyer on 2015 Record 11 (REVOLUTION!). I'm very happy to report - in fact, nearly giddy - that the new 2015 "Revolution" 11s drivetrain is a game changer, especially for guys who were starting to look hard at Shimano. This is where I'll be brief and elaborate later (if you insist):

Front shifting is as fast and effortless as Shimano 11 but still feels quintessentially Campy. Every single time I shift, I expect the chain to still be in the small ring as I can't comprehend how it can shift with so little effort and so mindblowingly fast. No hyperbole. Best of all, it feels like Campagnolo; I like some (just some, not loads like SRAM) clunk in my system.

Rear shifting improvements are more subtle; however, and this is more than likely 99% perception, Revolution feels more like 9s and 10s than 11s, which in my mind is an improvement. Ya, Campy guys care about this stuff

I love the new designs of the FD and RD. I think Campy engineers may have been inspired by the spaceships in Independence Day (or District 11). Such an inspired mix of Italian craftsmanship and new technology. Kinda like Italian Super Car Design.

Finally, and you may have figured this out by now, the new stuff works on NEW frames (internal routing). Maybe I can pick up one of those goofy Cervelos now.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=163360

kac

by kac

itguy wrote:I havent tried Campy 2015 yet but...

That was an excellent demo. I know it's far off topic, but how did you make that presentation? If it's too long, complicated and technical, I'll withdraw my question. Nonetheless, very impressive!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com