SRAM XG-1090 CX Powerdome X 12-27 Cyclocross Cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dallez

by Dallez

Do any weenies have one? I was curious if the lack of the elastomer rings make it a noisy cassette? I am trying to decide between the 11-26 (with elastomer rings) and the 12-27 for road use. I have a 12-27 now and am leaning that way but I haven't found any reviews on the 12-27 cassette. I think if I went to the 11-26 I would really miss the 16t cog.

eric

by eric

The elastomers quiet it down quite a bit from the previous model without them.

I find Shimano cassettes to be quieter however. (KMC chain).

I think you can still get DA 10sp 12-27. 12-27 10sp are no longer available in Ultegra but can still be had in 105.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dallez

by Dallez

Thanks Eric.

I am actually running a 105 (5700) 12-27 now. Looking to save a little weight and the Red is about 100g lighter whereas the DA is only about 60g lighter. I was originally going to go the DA route, but I have read a lot of good things about the XG-1090 cassette and am leaning towards giving that one a try.

efeballi

by efeballi

DA has titanium cogs in it, which hugely accelerates wear. AFAIK all of SRAM's cogs are hardened steel so it should last longer. IMHO you should buy the SRAM cassette and live with the noisy chain.
I'm also using a 105 12-27 cassette and love the ratios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The 12-27 sram cassette is nice. I have one on a cx bike and have used it on the road. It has marginally more noise, but it isn't bad.

It's light and shift decent. I would go DA unless you're really trying to save every ounce.... it will shift better and be lighter.

The Sram cassettes wear great, since they are steel. BUT, the 27T cog is aluminum and can wear quickly if you use it a lot. Also, they can bend easily. I've bent 1 in about a month of use and Sram wouldn't warranty it or sell me a replacement for that press on cog.