Brake recomendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sykes

by Sykes

I'm looking to get new brakes. Main reason being is that I am getting a set of carbon wheels and I want something that will be easy to adjust when changing the wheels to and from my aluminium set. I currently have Planet X CNC Light brakes. These are great, but not have a quick release and can be a bit of a pain to center. I figure a quick release is essential if I'm going to be swapping out wheels and pads, without having to mess with the cable itself, which is what I would have to do with the planet X brakes.

I'm on the heavier side at 87kg. Stopping power does trump light weight, although getting both would be great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grill

by Grill

If you actually like PX brakes and think they have stopping power, then you'll be happy with anything.

Dura Ace for pure stopping power, EE for stopping power and weight.

aaric

by aaric

If you are going to be swapping between carbon and aluminum wheels, you'll also have to change the pads.

The ee brakes pad holders are pretty nice for that IMO. You just pull the back of the pad out and it slides out rather than using a screw to hold the pad in. You could retrofit them to other brakes if needed, but they aren't cheap $130. Centering on the ee's is very easy and good: there's just a hand screw to turn. I'll assume you are using shimano or sram levers as you could use the quick release on campy levers to accomplish what you are looking for :)

However, if you are changing widths of the rims to a great degree, the ee's get a bit fiddly as you have to swap washers around: wide carbon to an aksium for instance: where with a shimano/sram brake you could use the quick release on the brake to adjust the clearance.

So, for most adjustability/flexibility, a shimano or sram oem brake with ee pad holders (http://eecycleworks.com/product/black-e ... -hardware/) would give you the most range of adjustability and quick pad changes. If you have rims that are close enough to the same width, that the screw in adjuster can handle the differences, ee's work exceptionally, and considering the price of dura-ace + the pad holders, I'd not recommend that route unless you just have to have a big difference in rim width with fast changes.

eric

by eric

The EEs can cover about 2mm difference in rim width and still have some adjustability. That's the older EEs that I have, I don't know about the current ones. On mine without the centering adjuster I leave the center bolt just loose enough that I can rotate the brake with both hands.

Stopping power and feel is very good. The pad holders are handy for pad changes. But on mine some pads are a tight fit. I've even had to sand down the backs of some pads to get them in the holder. Shimano style holders have the set screw but the pads do not fit as tightly. If you use a T-shaped allen wrench and don't remove the screw all the way they can be faster to change pads than EEs with tight fitting pads.

If you like light action brakes you can ask for the older spring on the EEs. It makes the brake feel very light, which I prefer. It's more like hydraulic brakes as you don't feel much resistance at the lever. (I'm using Sram levers) You do need to keep up on your brake cables and housing though, as too much drag can cause the brake to hang up.

You might check the Fairwheel brake shootout.

Sykes

by Sykes

Thanks guys,

I am using UDi2 shifters. The rim difference between the two is 1mm (24mm for the alum and 25mm for the carbons). I note the EE can be adjusted 2mm, but once the rim takes up 1/2 of that, won't pad wear become a factor and take up that other mm or more?

Thanks for the heads up on the EE pad holder. Talk about quick and simple.

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I want EEs but cannot afford. I am thinking about trying the far and near. A bit heavier than the PX but seem like more stopping power and just overall better built

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Sykes, Craig (EE) says Shimano is the best brakes on the market for pure stopping power and his own. It is as Grill says. EE are 110 grams lighter than Shimano (weight measured with both brakesets mounted on bike) but cost about 3 times as much as Shimano. EE is quite easy to adjust, Shimano is even easier. If you talk to Fairwheel bikes you'll probably be told EE are the best light weight brakes if you care for modulation, power and weight. I have both Shimano BR 9000 and 2015 EE and i like both. Either way, i doubt you'll be sorry what ever you pick.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rosuch

by rosuch

Dura Ace performance is great for the cost