Vittoria CX Isogrip in the wet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Are the Vittoria CX tyres really as bad as people say in the wet? Anyone have experience with the ISOGrip compound version of them? I want a UK race tyre that I can use on the odd occasion but don't want to be stressing when its wet during a race. I have good handling skills and I am not stupid in adverse conditions. Hoping to get some fast tubs that are 23-25 wide for Firecrest rims.

Please, I will heed from all tubular advice, my knowledge of them is limited.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IchDien

by IchDien

Have only tried the Open Corsa CX w/ISOGrip but did lose my back wheel once on a wet descent. It seems I'm not the only one with that experience.

I think that any tire you crash on in the wet due to other things than handling, whether the tire's fault or not, needs a lot of time to regain trust.

They are some of the best tires I have tried in the dry however and I wouldn't hesitate using them for race wheels in the future.

Marin

by Marin

I am used to riding GP4000s which are supposed to be very good in the wet, and I was scared to use my Open Paves - which are Isogrip too - but I had no problems when it rained.

I do have decent handling skills from BMX and working as a courier, but I didn't feel the Vittorias were dangerous.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I can't speak for Corsa but I had no issues with Open Pave on wet as Marin said.

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I think if I run a 25 and if its mixed conditions just drop the pressure a bit, 100psi +/- 5psi it should be good. Never had a tire that I've not felt confident on but I read many bad stories. Perhaps I'm not riding fast enough :D

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I swear by the Corsa Tech 2 for winter/wet conditions, but it's only 23 wide.

Zitter

by Zitter

The newer CX III are very good in the wet. I had some old CX tubulars and the first time I took them in the wet it was like I was on glass. I was racing on CX III's later on and was nervous since it was unexpectedly wet on the course, but they were phenomenal. I raced just the other day on them in the wet and it was great.

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Thanks Zitter, good to hear there was an improvement. Thanks for the feedback, I better get them on order!

boysa

by boysa

Thanks Zitter. I had some frightening experiences with the old CX when there was only a few drops of H2O on the road. Good to hear the new compound works.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Zitter

by Zitter

had a CX III tubular glued to my front wheel and a Panaracer Gravelking clincher on the rear for this race. You can see some of the corners are fast and tight and I never once felt either wheel slip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65OANnEN_88

Marin

by Marin

That's a cool video.

sawyer

by sawyer

Is the CX with Isogrip essentially the same as the SC?

I find the SC (which has Isogrip) really good in the wet. Up there with Contis
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

HillRPete

by HillRPete

sawyer wrote:Is the CX with Isogrip essentially the same as the SC?

I find the SC (which has Isogrip) really good in the wet. Up there with Contis

Would be interested in that as well. SC works very well for me, as does Conti Comp, but the SC feels smoother. Maybe the CX has a slightly thinner tread than the SC.

Zitter

by Zitter

only difference with the SC is the gum sidewall instead of black, same tread

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I've been riding SC and SR (the 24mm version) tubs for the last 18 months and I used the CXII clincher in the past.

I used to save the CXII for dry races, the new compound seems to be fine in the wet although I recently bought a new SC which is the Pro Series (the last set was Service Corse) and new on that seems a little slippy in the wet. I'm not sure if that's a difference in compound or probably more likely there's some moulding compound or something like that on the new tyre (very low, sub 100 mileage so far).

Until the new tyre I've been very happy with ISOGrip Vittoria's in all conditions.