Vittoria CX Isogrip in the wet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

I've ridden the Open version of the CX Evo III extensively in the wet. Same tread.

The CX is above-average in wet performance overall but it is not my first choice for a rain-specific tire because it does not have a progressive breakaway. Its wet limits are good but when it loses traction it tends to do so suddenly instead of warning you by drifting.

However, when I say "not my first choice for rain-specific" I'm speaking of tires in general, not tubulars specifically, since wet-condition tubulars are very rare (thus the peloton crashing in the rain a lot). It's a shame that the wheel-inventory management for pro teams doesn't really allow a clincher for pouring rain days, since somebody running Michelin Pro4 Grip or Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather clinchers would run rings around any tubular rider when curves/descents are involved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTBike

by VTBike

Zitter wrote:only difference with the SC is the gum sidewall instead of black, same tread

I thought the SC's had a different compound - at least in the open version. More resistant to punctures. My SC's weigh like 20g more per tire than my CXIII's in the 23mm version.

Zitter

by Zitter

Ah, I've used the SC tubulars, CX III tubulars, and CX III opens, but not SC opens. Is there a new SC III open tubular? On Vittoria's site they've changed everything just back to CX and SC

tinozee

by tinozee

I have had the rear lock/slide downhill in wet but I think it was just the new rubber, as it was only like 50 miles on it at the time. I ride those tires in dry conditions all the time and love them. I punctured one on a bad root/crack that put a good 4mm hole straight through, but otherwise they feel and ride great..

Racing2

by Racing2

In my humble opinion: Vittoria in the wet = flat.