Chain Catcher for Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

I've dropped the chain on my Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod DuraAce Di2 on the inside a few times due to an issue with front derailleur alignment. I've adjusted the limit screws but it's still happening so I'll take off the derailleur and re-install it.

But in case it happens again, I want to get a chain catcher. Due to the non-circular shape of the seat tube at the bottom bracket, I'm not sure what chain catcher will work. Does anyone have a link to a (hopefully light) chain catcher that works on this frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deek

by deek

Many attach to the FD attachment bolt. SRAM, K-Edge, etc. Any of those will work. I like the SRAM one the best.

eric

by eric

The Sram one has a micro-adjust screw that makes it much easier to set and keep the thing at just the right angle.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

K-Edge also have a new "professional" chain catcher that can be set up after the FD has been installed to make adjustment easier. But agree, the SRAM one is the best.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

This has been discussed to death - there are many threads. Search.
Or just go buy the Canyon chain catcher that sits underneath the seattube bottle cage and does not require messing with the FD setting to adjust.

tinozee

by tinozee

How is it discussed to death if there are new products out, even one you mention? I can't stand when people moan about using search on a forum. Is it sooo painful for you really?

Sorry to provoke, but this always baffles me. It seems more of a chest puff than valuable advice. Search function is obvious in some cases but not always. I am a forum owner/admin myself since the mid 1990s and never once found this sort of thing annoying.

superdx

by superdx

Di2 and FD dropping chains are pretty rare. Di2 only when the limit screws and FD positioning were off. I'd give reinstallation / realignment a try before going with a chain catcher. It really shouldn't be necessary.

Happened when I was on SRAM Force a lot. Di2 fell off once last month when I took it to the LBS and they did something, which then made the chain go flying out on a steep descent. Learned how to adjust from YouTube videos and all is well ever since.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

A properly adjusted drive train is a given in my books, but "pretty rare" still isn't "never". A good chain catcher is just good insurance. I like the new K-Edge models with separate adjustment independent of the derailleur fixing bolt.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

superdx

by superdx

My experience with the SRAM or K-edge chain catchers is they don't always keep the chain on the rings when they fall off. Their marketing terminology is so that the dropped chain doesn't cause damage to your frame or other components. I've had a chain drop, the chain catcher caught it, but then it got jammed and I almost fell over when my crank locked up as well. They don't also help chain drops going in the direction away from the frame. I wasn't very happy with SRAM at the time, and it'd take a big discount to consider going back to SRAM mechanical.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If the K-edge (haven't used SRAM so can't speak to that) is adjusted properly the chain can't come off. There's nowhere for it to go. Some chain catchers do just "catch" the chain when it falls off. Just built a bike that came stock with one of those and just took it off from the get go and put a k-edge on instead.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rosuch

by rosuch

Just purchased a K-Edge pro and the adjustability is great while leaving the fd on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com