Where to start with Di2 sprint shifters?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

I've got a Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod with DuraAce 9070 Di2 11-speed. Recently have been practising standing start sprints up inclines and have been finding I have to pause for a moment after a few seconds to change gears after I get up to a decent speed. Got me thinking that sprint shifters in the drops might be a worthwhile investment.

Searching around for Di2 sprint didn't give me a whole lot of info on the web or YouTube, though I found several threads here, but they generally seem focused on modifications or non-standard setups. Did see some comments saying they didn't really use them during sprints, so before I go on, are they worth getting, are they useful in uphill sprints?

To get a standard setup, do you just buy the SW-R610 Dura-Ace Sprint Shifter buttons, take off the bar tape, plug the cable into the shifter and wrap the cable around the bars to take up slack, cut a hole in the tape, and then reapply the tape? They don't seem to be in stock in many places that ship to Ireland where I'm based, though I found them in stock in Germany here: http://www.bike24.com/p248407.html

Anything I'm missing? In terms of positioning, is it just a case of practising to see where I tend to position my hands during a sprint and then find a spot that's within reach of my thumb in that position, but not directly in the way so it gets hit by accident?

Dkay

by Dkay

I've got them fitted. Although I don't use them for sprinting, I do use them a lot for shifting when I'm on the drops and they're excellent. They need only a very light pressure to operate and much easier to use than having to angle your index finger up to operate a paddle. To avoid any confusion, I also have my normal paddle shifter buttons set up to 'paddle-shift' mode.

The sprint shifters plug directly into the posts on your DA brifters, but will only work with a specific port (can't remember which one). The shifters are provided with a cutting template to chop the correctly-sized hole into your bar tape. Positioning is just simply a case of trial fitting, then peeling off the backing and sticking them on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I just installed sprint shifters myself.
This is the one DI2 piece where there is actually little/no installation info out there.
Yes- SW-R610 is the part.
For install-
remove tape.
Pull the plastic cap off of the bottom port on the 9070 shifter (nowhere does it even mention that there is a cap on the port- use the cable install/removal tool for this.
Plug in the shifter.
Position the shifters where you want them (mine are just under the band clamp for the shifter- I can even touch them from the hoods).
Retape bars- I did not use the template. You can even somewhat tape over the button. It still works.

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

Thanks both for the info - as mentioned, very little information out there for this part so hearing how to install it is very helpful. So it sounds like I just go ahead and order the part (which is not widely stocked, looks like it'll work out about 115 Euro) and then install as described.

One question though, have now seen a few people mention they don't use these buttons during sprints - is that because you just don't feel the need to change gear during sprints (i.e. this button is not needed) or does this part not do an adequate job? For flat sprints where you're already up to speed, I can see you may not need to change gear, but for uphill sprints in particular, I can see the benefit of changing gears mid sprint so was hoping this would be useful for that.

Interesting comment about taping over the button, was thinking about that earlier, could be the best of both worlds - no risk of a hole getting bigger and no disruption to the appearance, but as long as you know where it is, you can use it, sounds ideal - any reduction in ease of use? If not, I think I might do that, guess I just ensure not to tape too tightly at that point so that the button is not pressed by the tape?

Dkay

by Dkay

The only reason I don't really use my sprint shifters for sprinting, is that I don't do much sprinting. If I did, I'd use them more. :mrgreen:

What I'm trying to say, is that I use them far more often than just for pure shifting. As boots2000 as said, you can even position them so you can use them from the hoods using your thumbs, like having Campag Ergopower shifters.

ms6073

by ms6073

Agree about versatility of sprint shifters for more than just springting. Depending on the install location, sprint shifters can also be used to help those with shorter reach because of smaller hand size which makes it difficult to reach the shift lever from the drops.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

aaric

by aaric

re: taping over the button. If you space the tape correctly, the little nub head peaks out between the wraps of tape. The lower wrap ends right below button head, and the next wrap around only covers about half way down the button. works just fine, because there's a more substantial spring on the sprint shifters than the normal di2 buttons.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com