AICAN + Powercordz - FAIL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HTML

by HTML

So i tried combining Powercordz gear cables with AICAN bungarus outers as a possible lightest option. It turns out it is not such a great idea. Running through the gears for the final time before setting off. I felt some stiffness and jamming. On further inspection i found what was wrong. A little connector tab on 1 of the Aican pieces had broke inside and cut into the powercordz cable. This was near where the cable entered the frame (near the head tube) so no crazy bends. Thats £15 down the drain so i wont be trying it again anytime soon. :oops: and i recommend others not to try it. Luckily i only installed the rear derailleur cable.

i had 1 powercordz cable left so used it with some sp41 outers and everything is up and running. Shifting feels very light and slick (with DA9001 shifters) but i've yet to do a proper test ride.

Last edited by HTML on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

For those that don't know, Bungarus has no separate liner as it's implemented in the bits themselves, so i understand that powerchordz is a potential fail. I have no clue of Nokon carbon housings weight, don't you think that would come in at about same weight as Bungarus?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HTML

by HTML

I wasn't aware of the nokon carbon offerings. After what happened here i dont think i am prepared to risk it again. SP41 for me from now on :)

lannes

by lannes

You should just use the swift outers and liner with the powercordz

sungod

by sungod

i find powercordz in nokon with the powercordz liner are very reliable (do not use the nokon liner, it tends to compress and kink)

only issue i had after a couple of years was the cord to rear mech being abraded inside the liner where it ran under the bb, presumably fine grit had worked in (loads of wet rides) and eventually messed up the slippy outer layer of the cord - this showed up as greatly increased friction, the inner fibres were barely touched