To All You Cannondale SI Crank Owners..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which One?

Praxis Works
22%
Cannondale Spidering
78%

Total votes: 58

dmtevo

by dmtevo

I'm looking to change my chainrings on my Cannondale SI from FSA N10 to possibly a Praxis Works or a Cannondale Spider Ring. The spidering is a fair bit more in price but is it worth it? I'm not sure about the weight difference but which one would you choose. :?

£102
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CPRX0001KK

£160
http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/cannondale-opi-spidering-compact-50t-34t-kp245-p232831

kgt

by kgt

A Cannondale Spider Ring on a Cannondale SI gives added value IMHO. Aestheticaly speaking it is better, more "compatible" as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

I have the Praxisworks 52/36 rings on my SiSL crankset. Shifting is considerably better than the stock FSA rings. Would get Praxisworks rings again next time I'm looking for aftermarket rings for any of my bikes.

ITTY

by ITTY

The spidering shifts great and is stupid light. The only reason not to use it is if you're using a power meter spider.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Svetty

by Svetty

ITTY wrote:.... The only reason not to use it is if you're using a power meter spider.

Or you want something other than 53/39 or 50/34. :D

Or your finances are somewhat constrained. :D

dmtevo

by dmtevo

It's a bit close to call at the moment. Finances are important but checking eBay, it looks as through a Spidering can be picked up for about £100 or so.

popandmod

by popandmod

Qrings

dmtevo

by dmtevo

Looks like the Spidering is the most popular option. I'll just keep an eye out on eBay! Cheers Guys!

superdx

by superdx

I went with Praxis, minimal weight difference and cost a heck of a lot less. I actually like the look of the Praxis rings better than Cannondale spiderings.

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I went with Praxis as well. Got a good deal on a lightly used classic standard. That and using campy which I am sure works ok with the spiderings but probably not as well and not as tested as with the Praxis rings. Can't beat the weight of the spidering but the Praxis rings aren't that bad either.

soberhawk

by soberhawk

I think cannondale frame is mich better performance than other one.
I recommend you to try it!!

secteur

by secteur

It seems that the Praxis chainrings I bought don't work with my Cannondale SI cranks / spider (2014 synapse HiMod Ultegra). They are a correct match re: bolt size etc.

I tried to replace the stock FSA rings, but the praxis rings are a mm too far apart when installed resulting in the chain dropping between the two rings and jamming.

Thought it was just me, so I took it to the workshop and without explaining the problem they looked at it and came to the same conclusion - seemingly not compatable.

This is odd because this and other threads suggest other people have managed it.

I have no explanation for why this should be, thought the small chainring on the FSA has a 1mm deep recess where it bolts and the praxis doesn't, and this is what seems to result in that 1mm gap with the praxis which causes all the problems.

Am now going for FSA k-lite rings which the shop says should be fully compatable.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

secteur wrote:It seems that the Praxis chainrings I bought don't work with my Cannondale SI cranks / spider (2014 synapse HiMod Ultegra). They are a correct match re: bolt size etc.

I tried to replace the stock FSA rings, but the praxis rings are a mm too far apart when installed resulting in the chain dropping between the two rings and jamming.

Thought it was just me, so I took it to the workshop and without explaining the problem they looked at it and came to the same conclusion - seemingly not compatable.

This is odd because this and other threads suggest other people have managed it.

I have no explanation for why this should be, thought the small chainring on the FSA has a 1mm deep recess where it bolts and the praxis doesn't, and this is what seems to result in that 1mm gap with the praxis which causes all the problems.

Am now going for FSA k-lite rings which the shop says should be fully compatable.

Do you have di2 by chance? I had the same issue: 52/36 Praxis rings, SI crankset, Di2 (although i'm running a power2max type s). Front shifting was terrible, after both I and the LBS called praxis to find a solution their response was basically "too many third party parts, it's never going to work correctly". I was surprised in their attitude given all the boasting they do about having the best rings and working great with di2. They even sell them on the Power2Max site bc they say they're the best. I ended up getting rid of Di2 for Campy and they work great, same crank & same spider, so it has to be a Di2 compatibility issue.

secteur

by secteur

Ltoddokc wrote:
Do you have di2 by chance?

No, it's Ultegra 6800; BB30A, cannondale Cranks & spider - the cranks say "SI" but the crank bolts say "SISL2", FSA rings.

The Praxis rings just wouldn't work - they were just 0.5mm or so too far apart when fitted to the spider, so the chain kept dropping between the rings.

The FSA k-lite rings fit and work perfectly, and look better. To be honest I doubt I'd even tell the difference between Praxis and FSA anyway, so should have just gone with the FSA in the first place.

Odd that others have had no problems, but mine just wouldn't work at all. Both I and the workshop couldn't get them to work, so it wasn't just me doing something wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmtevo

by dmtevo

I upgraded to Praxis Works in the end but would have gone with a Spidering if a compact one became available. Sadly the only ones that seemed to appear on eBay when I was hunting was the 53/39.. I'm not man enough for that yet!