DADi2 or 2015 Record Mech or 2014 Record EPS V1 for C60

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Hi all,

Working on a new build and either I go DADi2 or Record 2015 Mechanical.

I know they don't seem like apples to apples but thing is if I go the Campy route, I would rather wait for the next EPS update.

OTOH, if I go DA, and we go with the usual 4 yr cycle, then they might announce the new version next year (2016?).

With campy I have the latest group and maybe when new EPS comes out, I do the upgrade kit.

I have DI2 now on one bike and an older Campy mech on another so am familiar with both.

Thoughts? I really like electronic so either way, either I get it now with Shimano or later with Campy.

Thanks!
Last edited by Dogmatic13 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roel W

by Roel W

Is you frame mechanical and electronical compatible?
Most framesets are mech or electric, not both. In that case a later upgrade is difficult.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Yeah it's a C60 that can take either electronic or mechanical.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

New 2015 camapgnolo is pretty freking awesome. Best mechanical groupset money can buy right now.
Personally I think record is a bit of a lost groupset though. It's not SR and chorus is every thing that record is for $500 less and no red squares :mrgreen:

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Yeah 2015 Campy is the business. Also means I would go Bora if I went the campy route (and fulcrum if Shimano).

But just so I'm getting it right - I know Campy released new mechanical groups for 2015, but when did they release the current EPS version?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Last update for eps was the v2 internal batteys last year and there has been a couple of small updates to the front cage design in late 2014.
Eps is due for a rear mech geo change to keep it in line with 2015 mechanical. And not sure when that's going to occur.
I was going to update my Parlee to eps but went with the mech 2015 SuperRecord instead. Really happy with the choice. I build a lot of DA 9000 and 9070 for others and I still think campagnolos present mechincal offering is the top of the pops! :thumbup:

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Get the Di2. Once you have it, you will never want another mechanical group again. Even Ultegra Di2, with DA crank and brakes, is a great option if you want to save some cash. Shimano is unlikely to change the wiring standard at this point, so in the future you can just pop new F/R ders on it and upgrade moving forward.

I was a Campy guy for years and years. I still love the Campy hood shape, but Di2 is better than mech Campy for actual performance and ease of maintenance.

bungis

by bungis

DADI2 is the whisker's with the extra button to change screens. 6800 or 9000 chainset depends on the paint scheme imo.

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Yeah I have 6770 on my other bike and really like it. The position of the buttons is perfect.

The frame I'm going for is glossy black, so a DA crank would suit it perfectly.

Must admit one reason I am thinking campy is to keep the entire build Italian, i.e Bora, Deda, SLR, but really not too fussed putting DA on a Colnago. Just won't mix and match Campy wheels with a Shimano groupset :wink:

Grill

by Grill

Di2 is easily the best electronic gruppo. Once you use it you'll never move off it.

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

@sugarkane thanks for the info. That helps my approach then.

So I'm thinking now, I go for Record 2015 to keep the groupset very fresh (not that I always need latest and greatest, more just bec I keep my stuff for a long time) and when either new EPS or new DADI2 is announced this year/next year, I can then decide if I go back to electronic.

Thoughts on the line of thinking?

Funny but when I moved to electronic I said I would never do mech again, but well here I am. I just hope I don't miss electronic so much! I have to say, I shift a whole lot more with Di2 :P

solarider

by solarider

I wouldn't be so sure that EPS V3 will be along soon.

The geometry changes to the mechanical mechs are largely unnecessary with servos and motors doing the shifting, and the linear nature of the EPS shifting mechanism doesn't lend itself easily to the offset geometry of the new mechanical rear mech.

The extra leverage of the new front mech swing arm is again irrelevant when you have a motor doing the hard work.

EPS took Campagnolo many years to bring to market, and since it works so well, I am not sure we will see much change in the next few years.

I of course might be completely wrong.........

In the meantime, mechanical SR is just about as good as mechanical gets, but mechanical is not as good as shifting gets. That accolade belongs to electronic shifting, whether EPS or Di2.
Last edited by solarider on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

@solarider good points. The changes in the mech FD/RD would indeed be less beneficial when the system has servos pushing everything anyway.

I was actually considering going for current Record EPS but it just seems that it just isn't as reliable yet as Di2. So if I go electronic, then it will be Di2.

Don't want this to be a EPS vs Di2 thread, but just wondering if indeed it's functioning is already more consistent. I've had my 6770 for almost 2 years and have had absolutely no probs at all.

But man campy is just pure art :lol:

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Di2 without question. It is the best hands down, either electric or mechanical.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimborello

by jimborello

Colnago C60?? Of course campagnolo Record!!! who cares about functionality both work fine but campy is in another league in terms of pure beauty.