Recommendation to reduce rear derailleur weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DEADRE

by DEADRE

Hi everyone,

I have a campagnolo super record 11 speed rear derailleur 2015 model and would like to reduce the weight of it.
I know that the pulleys could be replaced w/ carbon version and ceramic bearings and the back rear plate could be replaced w/ carbon version as well.
Can you guys recommend, what brand of pulleys and back rear plate that I should get and are those the only 2 items that could be replaced to save weight or is there something else that I have missed?
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to remove the screaming. Caps lock writing is screaming on the internet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ITTY

by ITTY

There's not a whole lot of modification you can do to save weight with Super Record RDs. Surely there are other places on your bike to save weight more easily and effectively.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Fibre lyte pulleys work well, seem to be the lightest out there. They are not nearly as smooth asstock super record. Honestly i would not swap them out and save weight elsewhere.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Yeah I did the back cage and pulleys with Fiber-Lyte and saved 15 grams, that's all. And I'm thinking of actually putting the pulleys back in as I can't tighten the cage fully and get the same amount of spin. I think the bolts are already ti to start with so yeah, without taking to it with a dremel, which would be a travisty in itself as it's a work of art already, you can't really lose much weight elsewhere on it.

DEADRE

by DEADRE

dereksmalls wrote:Yeah I did the back cage and pulleys with Fiber-Lyte and saved 15 grams, that's all. And I'm thinking of actually putting the pulleys back in as I can't tighten the cage fully and get the same amount of spin. I think the bolts are already ti to start with so yeah, without taking to it with a dremel, which would be a travisty in itself as it's a work of art already, you can't really lose much weight elsewhere on it.

ok noted on the pulleys will not modify, but the back cage is OK to modify? Thank you!

DEADRE

by DEADRE

ITTY wrote:There's not a whole lot of modification you can do to save weight with Super Record RDs. Surely there are other places on your bike to save weight more easily and effectively.

The other places you are referring to, has been reduce in weight already and that was the only culprit the I could think off to match the weight of the Lightweight rear deraillure. The spec is as follows:

AX lightness:
- Vial Evo D frameset
- Stem
- handle bars (Yes Schmolke is lighter, but will destroy the flow)
- seat post
- brake set
- cranks
ceramic bearings at BB
san marco aspide carbon saddle (sorry my butt is used to this saddle)
No compression wedge & will be covered w/ a schmolke headset
schmolke handle bar ends
Lightweight cage and wheel set
Carbon ti carbon chainrings
Titanium shifter clamps that attaches to the handlebars
Campagnolo shifters, front / rear deraillure

Any suggestions in there to loose weight, besides loosing it on myself?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Yeah the inner cage is fine is fine to change I reckon. the ultralight 2gm cage is the one you want.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

No mention of cables on your specs. If you're using stock Campy cables, there is an opportunity to save some weight going with segmented housings and either titanium or Powercordz cables.

ITTY

by ITTY

No mention of pedals either. Depending on what you're currently using, you could easily lose 100g in pedals.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

You could possibly try the Extralite Extrabolt 15.1 pulleys. Maybe nylon bolts in some places on the derailleurs. KMC X11SL DLC chain. Powercordz or Aican cables. What pedals are you running?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com