Where does saving weight matter the most?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dumptruk

by dumptruk

Very long time lurker and only recently made an account.

I've been shaving grams here and there off my bike, and I've noticed where the weight reduction is done, it's a noticeable improvement to my riding. This could be placebo, but wanted to hear everyone's opinions

In the handlebars: Lighter bars and a swap from 105 to DA shifters was an improvement to my climbing. Swinging bars back and forth were feathery light, and felt like I could pull the bars side to side easier.

In the seatpost/saddle: When I ditched my saddle bag and went with a lighter seatpost/saddle, during hard sprinting, the swaying of the saddle was recognizable. It felt like it didn't take as much effort to move the bike back and forth under my weight.

In the wheels: I recently acquired a wheelset that was 200g lighter. I thought it would make my climbing better, but instead found they "spin up" faster, taking off from a dead start or low speeds.

Where are other places that people feel shaving grams is "more worth it" than other places. I know this is WW so that question could be sacrilegious :lol:

PSM

by PSM

Apart from your body, the wheel/tires/tubes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Your body.

Lighter wheels don't make you faster than lighter rest of the bike, but the bike might feel livelier.

The best place to save weight is where it's cheap and where it least affects function.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

I wasn't out of shape to begin with, but since I start cycling in August of last year, I've dropped weight. That has absolutely been noticeable as I'm riding.

I'm 5'9'' and with a fair amount of muscle / athletic build would fluctuate between 165-170lbs. Now I'm moving between the 155-160lbs range.

dumptruk

by dumptruk

Marin wrote:Lighter wheels don't make you faster than lighter rest of the bike, but the bike might feel livelier.

I agree. I guess that was the intent of this post, but was interpreted as "Where is the best place to lose weight?". I'm 5' 11" semibuilt at 165lbs. I could probably lose another 5 to 10lbs, but to be quite frank, it's not nearly as noticeable on the bike as a lot of placebos are (like lighter wheels). Just moving my flat tire kit from the saddle to my jersey pocket made the bike feel more alive. Even though absolutely zero grams were gained or lost.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

dumptruk wrote:
Marin wrote:Lighter wheels don't make you faster than lighter rest of the bike, but the bike might feel livelier.

I agree. I guess that was the intent of this post, but was interpreted as "Where is the best place to lose weight?". I'm 5' 11" semibuilt at 165lbs. I could probably lose another 5 to 10lbs, but to be quite frank, it's not nearly as noticeable on the bike as a lot of placebos are (like lighter wheels). Just moving my flat tire kit from the saddle to my jersey pocket made the bike feel more alive. Even though absolutely zero grams were gained or lost.

I agree :) Plus, the bike looks better without a saddle bag, and looking better easily increases speed 8-10%.

kgt

by kgt

+1
Liveliness is the word. Light wheels provide a unique feel.

jimwhimpey

by jimwhimpey

Light rims, tyres, tubes improve acceleration.

eric

by eric

Less weight in the rim and tires does improve accelleration, but only a tiny bit more than weight lost elsewhere on the bike or on the rider.
For most riding, heavier yet more aerodynamic rims are faster than lighter unaero rims. Even in accelerations from a standing start.
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2014/ ... ts-ii.html

OTOH, less weight anywhere is worth a little bit of speed on climbs. You can calculate it using one of the on line power calculators.

Light rims and tires FEEL much faster than they really are.

PSM

by PSM

Stiff and light wheels are always good.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Except when the data says they're not, right?

As for the OP, you'll find this aero vs light thread, the Tour Test of 12 aero vs non-aero frames and the aero vs light wheels threads all enlightening...or maybe just a bit disheartening.

5DII

by 5DII

how do light weight wheels improve acceleration (vs weight lost other places)? They still have to move the total weight of bike+rider

Marin

by Marin

Also, keep in mind that most of the time on the bike, you aren't accelerating, but you are trying to resist deceleration. Lighter wheels are actually contraproductive there, as more (rotating) weight will make you go faster for longer :)

kgt

by kgt

Lighter wheels or frame or components etc. will not make anyone a better or faster rider. Training will.
But a considerably lighter (more than 200-300gr) wheelset will definitely alter the riding feel and handling in a positive way. A lighter saddle or brakes or crankset will never have this effect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hastur

by Hastur

5DII wrote:how do light weight wheels improve acceleration (vs weight lost other places)? They still have to move the total weight of bike+rider

Less rotating mass that needs to be accelerated? http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-does-wheel-weight-matter_223209

However....#aeroiseverything ;-)