Where does saving weight matter the most?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

Marin wrote:Also, keep in mind that most of the time on the bike, you aren't accelerating, but you are trying to resist deceleration. Lighter wheels are actually contraproductive there, as more (rotating) weight will make you go faster for longer :)

This general subject has been discussed at length in various vintage threads

KGT is right in that when you get to extreme ends of rim/tyre/tube weight there really is a significant difference in how the bike feels - irrespective of the physics suggesting the actual effect is not large

I always liked the feeling of effect you describe with very heavy rims holding speed well including going uphill but overall prefer the "nothing there / flighty" feel of a 1100g wheelset ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

What about ligher shoes ? Would that be more important ?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

sawyer wrote:
Marin wrote:Also, keep in mind that most of the time on the bike, you aren't accelerating, but you are trying to resist deceleration. Lighter wheels are actually contraproductive there, as more (rotating) weight will make you go faster for longer :)

This general subject has been discussed at length in various vintage threads

KGT is right in that when you get to extreme ends of rim/tyre/tube weight there really is a significant difference in how the bike feels - irrespective of the physics suggesting the actual effect is not large

I always liked the feeling of effect you describe with very heavy rims holding speed well including going uphill but overall prefer the "nothing there / flighty" feel of a 1100g wheelset ...

I just had my first weight weenie experience. Upgraded t Dura Ace from Ultegra and changed my pedals over to XTR spd's. I'm guessing I saved around 1/2 pound. Bike isn't any faster, but it felt better and looks nicer.
I broke a few strava records on my first ride, but I tend to do that from time to time regardless.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

thp

by thp

Less bulge over the 6 pack.
Smaller tighter clothing for more aero.
Rims for feel.
:-)

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

@thp. goes wihtout saying. If a rider has 30 pounds of excess bodyfat. no amount of shaving grams on the bike can compare. I also know from a few years ago that when over-weight, it makes climbing hills much harder.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels