Suggestions for a 4'11 height beginner lady friend

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

djconnel wrote: Key thing is to not get tricked into assuming low effective top tube = low reach.

I don't think many people do get 'tricked' like that. Most people on this forum are perceptive enough to know that seat tube angle is also a significant determinant of reach.

Cervelo, I think, have a 73 degree seat angle across all sizes, which is unusual these days. And if you don't like that brand you are typically into 75 degree seat tube angle territory in the case of small frames.

djconnel

by djconnel

Well, its true that even if the reach is the same, a smaller frame allows for a shorter reach at the same stack, because adding spacers to a smaller frame will reduce reach at the same stack.

This plot shows lines for adding spacers and for adding stem length (assume 0 deg stem: you'd need to adjust for other stem angles. Only a -17 deg stem adjusts reach w/o affecting stack). Note the 3 smallest Specialized frames each have basically the same reach. But if you add spacers to the smallest, the reach at the stack of the largest is 1 cm less.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

My wife is small too and she bought a Pinarello Rokh. There smallest frame the 43 has a reach of 34.5cm.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pinar ... e-2015?s=a

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yeah, Pinarello has some 'easy fit' options in the Paris too I think and a 48 Kobh comes up pretty short too. My wife has same issue on sizing and she is on a Cervelo R3 but I think the Domane would fit her even better.

gifted child

by gifted child

Thanks for the input guys. Will probably go with the custom ti (generic china custom) route. Wanted the wheels to be 700c and not 650c...
And now for the measurements, would it be ideal to have a retul bike fit? and have the suggested measurements made ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Any fitter than knows their stuff would be able to help you. Someone with a fit bike would be best though. Retul kit is no guarantee of a good fit - look for someone with a good reputation.

Is going to end up looking a lot like this
tiny700a.PNG

You will need to hunt a 3T Funda 53mm rake fork to get decent handling

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Another vote for 650c. 700c will result in a severely compromised frame geometry. Check out the Gunnar Roadie.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

gifted child

by gifted child

Thanks. Retul bike fit seems to be all the rage here for the "can afford" cyclists here in the Philippines. Sadly there's not much reputable bike fitters where my friend is at... And I suggested the Retul kit but wast kind of hesitant (didn't have myself retul'ed). Showed here how ti frames would look like and she wasn't pleased with the aesthetics... So back to carbon fiber frames. Aside from the ones mentioned above, any other options? 650c wheel size is now an option also... But 700c would be much better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrenegade

by wrenegade

Valbrona wrote:Cannondale Women's Synapse available in carbon or metal versions comes up pretty small. I noticed the other day that Prolite do a decent quality al frame for 650c wheels - but it still had quite a long reach.

My fiance (5'0") is on a 44cm Women's Synapse with 165mm SL-K cranks and an 80mm stem. Haven't measured the bars actually, but they must be 38cm or narrower (they are 3T ergonova). The bike came with a 70mm stem which made the handling a little funny, but it's a lot better since she went up to an 80mm.