Saddle recommendations: moving on from Fizik Arione VS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I tried all the Fizik saddles and none of them agreed with me. Then I started on the Prologo saddles and ended up settling on the Zero PAS II. I like to move around in the saddle, but this saddle is dead flat and is not meant to suit that style of riding...suits me fine.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

racingcondor wrote:My experience is that spin concept is marketing junk.

Guess I'd have to agree to that verdict, not being convinced either that there is a close relationship between flexiblity and saddle shape preference. At any rate, I also agree that the Antares is a great saddle, and this is from a person coming from the Aspide (regular and composite/unpadded) versions. The laterally flat shape and slight spoiler in the rear gives just enough support to the sit bones to unweigh the perineum, while also being flat enough in the front for moving around a bit.

Pondering to try an Aspide VS as well, but the regular braided one appeals to my WW feelings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I should add that the Antares that I use is the carbon braided version. I've ridden both kium and carbon braided and found that the kium saddles sag after 6-8,000 miles. Carbon braided versions are both stiffer and seem to last forever.

I've come to the conclusion that everyone tries to think of marketing for saddles so you end up with things like spine concept because it makes a good magazine advert when the truth is that it's trial and error.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

mogwaiboi wrote:I tried all the Fizik saddles and none of them agreed with me. Then I started on the Prologo saddles and ended up settling on the Zero PAS II. I like to move around in the saddle, but this saddle is dead flat and is not meant to suit that style of riding...suits me fine.

My local shop has a number of Prologo saddles to demo, so I will see if they've got this one and check it out.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

HillRPete wrote:
racingcondor wrote:My experience is that spin concept is marketing junk.

Guess I'd have to agree to that verdict, not being convinced either that there is a close relationship between flexiblity and saddle shape preference. At any rate, I also agree that the Antares is a great saddle, and this is from a person coming from the Aspide (regular and composite/unpadded) versions. The laterally flat shape and slight spoiler in the rear gives just enough support to the sit bones to unweigh the perineum, while also being flat enough in the front for moving around a bit.

Pondering to try an Aspide VS as well, but the regular braided one appeals to my WW feelings.

One more vote for the Antares...I'm looking forward to trying this one out.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

racingcondor wrote:I should add that the Antares that I use is the carbon braided version. I've ridden both kium and carbon braided and found that the kium saddles sag after 6-8,000 miles. Carbon braided versions are both stiffer and seem to last forever.

I've come to the conclusion that everyone tries to think of marketing for saddles so you end up with things like spine concept because it makes a good magazine advert when the truth is that it's trial and error.

Interesting...well with that in mind I'll stick with carbon braided versions. My current Arione VS has kium rails (or, does the Arione VS even have a carbon option?)...I'm not sure how many miles my dad put on it before handing it over to me, but I've only ridden 2,300-ish miles so far, so wouldn't have the experience to pick up on something like that.

Glad to know now, though, as ultimately I'd like to move on to a newer, better bike and bring a few parts over to it (my wheels, saddle, etc.).