Training wheelset?? Mavix CXP 22?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peterdingles

by peterdingles

Hello, I wanted to know if anybody has used the mavix cxp 22 rims? I need a training wheelset and was looking into these rims. The only thing keeping me from getting them is that they have a grove right in the middle of the rim as a wear indicator. Would this wear my pads with a grove in them? I have a set of Ksyrium's as my race wheels and want a wheelset that will require the least amount of adjustments when swithcing wheels, so I figure I can achieve this with another mavic rim. Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

I've got a set of CXP-22's (36 spokes) They are okay, nothing really special. I use them on my "slop" bike which I ride on a gravel trail and in the rain. They are VERY heavy but pretty darn solid. I've never seen any problems with the wear indicator grooving the brake pads.

I would suggest just using the Ksyriums as your training wheels too. They are pretty darn tough and they will be able to take being used everyday. I use mine year round for training and racing and I've never had a problem. Then you can save your money and buy a really awesome set of racing wheels like Lightweights or Reynolds Stratus DV.

Superlite

by Superlite

Have you looked at the Open Pros? There the best for training I think. One word sums them up. BOMBPROOF! There an awsome rim to build a training wheel on. For around $200 you can get them laced to ultegra hubs.

bobalou

by bobalou

peterdingles wrote:Hello, I wanted to know if anybody has used the mavix cxp 22 rims? I need a training wheelset and was looking into these rims. The only thing keeping me from getting them is that they have a grove right in the middle of the rim as a wear indicator. Would this wear my pads with a grove in them? I have a set of Ksyrium's as my race wheels and want a wheelset that will require the least amount of adjustments when swithcing wheels, so I figure I can achieve this with another mavic rim. Thanks in advance.

I bought a set of CXP22's laced to 105 hubs for $129 bucks on ebay. Good deal and great rims for training. I think M3 is right about just using Ksyriums for everything, but I like the heavy CXP22 wheel for training. The groove seems pointless to me. Other then not minding getting them crapped up, It's sweet to switch to the lighter setup and feel the dramatic difference. There's a reason to call them "training" wheels. :wink:

tobias

by tobias

hi,
i use them on my training bike (mavic cxp22-shim105hubs) for about 12g
without any problems. the roads are the worst in germany (dresden)
and i only had to true them twice....not bad for 100EUR isn´t it?
cheers

tobias.