reduce 7.15kg to 6.8kg

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jesper64

by Jesper64

What size cassette do you have and do you need the largest cog? You could get a smaller sized cassette which saves some weight and as a result you could also shorten your chain for a few more grams as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frans

by Frans

Holy cow, with a USD 7000 frame I'd be rather peeved that it's not lighter than 99% of other bikes out there.

Ditch the Cole wheels for something lighter.
Mid-level Campy brake callipers are also heavy, so some Sram Red (old model) callipers might be a good move. If you're heavier, then I'd avoid the KCNC brakes, not heard great things about them slowing down a lot of mass.

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Cheap titanium skewers can be around 40g versus 100g skewers. You can run lightweight tubes, say 65g each versus the usual generic 100g tube. That's 135g saving there without much cost.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I'd also go for light tyres with latex inners, you will feel the difference immediately.
Ride it like you stole it

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Frans wrote:Holy cow, with a USD 7000 frame I'd be rather peeved that it's not lighter than 99% of other bikes out there.

maybe it's a knockoff... hard to tell with the low quality pictures... if I bought an RCA..I'd just go all out or don't get an RCA in the first place.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Using powercordz cables could save you maybe 30-40g. If you use weightweenie cable housing in addition, like Powercordz Swift (think that's what theirs is called), alligator iLinks or nokon you might save 100g or so.

Next time you replace a chain buy a lighter one. maybe 20-30g saved there

lightweight innertubes like continental Supersonics (55g each) or Vredestein latex (50g each) could save you up to 100 g depneding on what you have currently.

Light weight bar tape like Lizard skins racetape (under 50g?) might save another 20g or so.

I changed my old expander nut in my fork to on from Extralight which weighs 7g...saved me over 30g.

Theres potentially over 200g of weight savings. the price difference for upgrading to lighter weight consumables isnt generally all that much when compared to some other upgrades and you will need to replace these things anyway. if you plan ahead you can get 'em on sale and maybe break even after all is said and done.

or do as i hope to do this year and lace some 270g chinese tubular rims to Extralite CyberRear/CyberFront rims for a sub1kg wheelset and save over 500g in one hit :)

rowls

by rowls

Just by changing the skewers to carbon / titanium type has reduced the bike to under the desired weight.

I had looked at the carbon expander bung and am using j&l which is like an extralite type.

I like the current build components and group set and especially centaur 10 speed - it's cheap enough and easy enough to take apart modify / service and put back together - so the only thing will be changing now are the wheels to carbon for racing on hilly terrain.

I will put some better pictures on over the weekend.

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I have centaur on my lightish bike as well and its great. Its definitely not light but it not that bad. There is definitely cheaper ways to save weight that are cheaper. Going chorus is a lot more money even though when I go to 11 speed I will definitely go Chorus and not Athena.

What skewers did you end up buying?

kman

by kman

Good post by Mr4fox. I use the Alligator iLinks and am happy with them.

Go for more alloy bolts on the little parts that aren't so vital, like derailleurs (jockey wheel bolts, barrel adjuster, limit screws, pinch bolt). The pivot bolt on your Centaur RD will be steel, swap it for alloy - thats a very big bolt. Swap the centre axle bolt in your cranks for Ti, another 10g saved there on just one bolt (search my posts, I just did this). Ti bolts for important stuff like brake cable pinch bolts, stem bolts. Alloy recessed nuts on the brake calipers if they aren't already.
KCNC seat clamp, can save 20g over a stock item.
You should be able to save 100g easily (probably more), just with bolt tuning. I use toronto cycles but there are a few good options out there.

I'd like to know what skewers you bought as well - you went from 7.15 to under 6.8 just by changing skewers?????
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

RimClencher

by RimClencher

How much does the stem weigh?

A Kalloy Uno "7" stem is 89 g for 100 mm (not including bolts). Fairly cheap off ebay.