2015 Campagnolo Super Record Shifting Compared to Shim/Sram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gavin929

by Gavin929

I have been a long time user of Sram and Shimano drivetrains in both mechanical and electronic flavors. I have always wanted to try Campagnolo so I ordered a 2015 Super Record group and had it installed on my Vamoots RSL. It looks incredible and seems to work really well. I did notice one thing about the shifting and wanted some input from users of multiple drivetrains.

When the bike is in the stand the shifting is perfect. When I am casually riding the shifting is perfect. BUT, when I am riding hard I am over-shifting the rear derailleur when going for an easier gear. Is Campy just more sensitive at the shift lever? When I shift up one click without concentrating the chain will sometimes go up 2 cogs and immediately drop back down to the correct cog. It is as if I pushed the lever too far past the "click". It does not hesitate on the 2nd cog and i only noticed it as i was looking down at it while climbing.

It seems as though sram and shimano have a larger "Dead zone" after the "click" where you can be more ham-fisted in your shifts but still get accurate shifts.

Has anyone else experienced this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

The new stuff is really sensitive, I've talked to a couple people who say at first they were overshifting at times. It's due to the up 3, down 5 nature of the mechanism.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Maybe your throwing the lever too much. Use one finger and stop at the click. How's the down shifting? Maybe your also running too much tension and the gears are over shiftin cause of that.
Set up right its the best 11s mechanical group you can buy

Gavin929

by Gavin929

Downshifting is perfect. No delay. I think I just have to develop a lighter touch.

Gavin929

by Gavin929

I did decide to reduce cable tension to see if it makes a difference. Will report back.

em3

by em3

Gavin929 wrote:When the bike is in the stand the shifting is perfect. When I am casually riding the shifting is perfect. BUT, when I am riding hard I am over-shifting the rear derailleur when going for an easier gear. Is Campy just more sensitive at the shift lever?

If it is working on stand and working under normal loads then it is working, and u should not mess with cable tension, especially if shifts down ur cassette r also working. it sounds like u r simply applying too much force to shifting when u r under hard efforts....practice finesse.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I've installed a fair bit of it.. I reckon a quarter turn or 2 less tension will help

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Campy super record requires more accuracy when shifting, for casual rides I opted one of my bike with athena as it is one by one shifting. I switched to campy 3 years ago and never look back to shim/sram. Coming from tiagra, ultegra, rival, duraace, red, force, red22, in that order to super records (3) plus athena and chorus

Timujin

by Timujin

It may sound strange to some but my SR2015 clicks like psuedo-electronic... Meaning I don't need to move the lever a lot... Just enough to click it and it shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Slightly related to topic...
Running Super Record on new bike coming off 2002 vintage campy record 10.

Problem I'm having is with noisy drivetrain. Drivetrain is relatively quiet in the smaller cogs and has a nice quiet sweet spot but as I up shift, get increasing noise. Shifting seems fine but definitely annoyed by the noise - I adore quiet running bikes.

So question to the grp is: Is there anything I can do to quiet this drivetrain or is it simply all the pieces slowly working in ( about 1000 Km on her so far)?
It only hurts if you think.

skidmark

by skidmark

Johnnysmooth wrote:Slightly related to topic...
Running Super Record on new bike coming off 2002 vintage campy record 10.

Problem I'm having is with noisy drivetrain. Drivetrain is relatively quiet in the smaller cogs and has a nice quiet sweet spot but as I up shift, get increasing noise. Shifting seems fine but definitely annoyed by the noise - I adore quiet running bikes.

So question to the grp is: Is there anything I can do to quiet this drivetrain or is it simply all the pieces slowly working in ( about 1000 Km on her so far)?

Having exactly the same issue. Large front ring, bigger cogs on the cassette - NOISE. Running 2015 SR on a 2015 S-Works Tarmac. On the small ring, every gear selected on the cassette is lovely and quiet. It's got me completely baffled... Curiously, the dirtier the chain, the quieter the bike. if i degrease the drivetrain and lube the chain afterwards as directed, the bike is noisy ... I can't run the chain dirty - increased wear and the risk of chainsuck isn't worth it. Been using Finish Line dry and more recently, Muc off Ceramic Dry.

Gear changes, however, are truly magical. It shifts through the gears at the lightest of touches. I love it (despite the noise).

I'm on 3,300km.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Try stripping your chain of that Lube and try Duomonde Tech Lite. Might notice quite a difference in noise after it works itself in. Go onto their website for complete instructions on application. And never strip it completely. The idea is just to get the gritty dirt out of your chain. I just run the chain through a Park chain cleaner tool with warm water and some dishwashing liquid (DAWN) then spray clean water on the chain to rinse. Will still feel very "waxy" afterwards but dry off and apply Duomonde Tech (one light drop per bushing) and it really does work well. And if you're running in a wetter climate it's even better. Seems to stay on so much better than those "dry" products. After about 3 applications the chain noise will be really dampened, although there shouldn't be much chain noise anyway. When I set up a new drive train I will strip the chain of packing grease completely and install the chain with zero lube on it. This way it makes it very easy to detect where fine tuning may be required which you might not even be able to hear if the drive train was all lubed up first. Only after I've gotten the drive train perfectly dialed in do I lube it up. And good to go.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Yeah my 2015 SR stuff is a little more touchy than the previous gen SR on my last bike. It's better though, I think, but it does require a bit of getting use to, and you kind of have to recalibrate your fingers to how much you throw the lever. I have a hard time switching back and forth between my two bikes, the other with older Athena 11 on it.

My new drivetrain was pretty noisy at first as well, but after about 1,000 miles on it now it has hushed up significantly. Overall I love my 2015 SR stuff compared to my 2013 SR, but does require a bit of an acclimation period.

Also, I really think the extra noise is from a change to the RD. I kept my old crankset and even on my other wheel set with my old SR cassette and it's just as noisy as my new 2015 cassette (it's 11-29 which is new for 2015, so at first I thought it was due to a change of some time in the cassette). I don't think there is any use in stressing over your chain lube, just keep riding and enjoying.

AJS914

by AJS914

skidmark wrote:
Johnnysmooth wrote:Slightly related to topic...

Having exactly the same issue. Large front ring, bigger cogs on the cassette - NOISE.

If the shifting is getting progressively worse as you go through the cassette then something isn't right.

I just upgraded my Parlee to 11 speed and have all sorts of minor trouble sorting it out. Finally I redid everything from scratch (reseting limit screws and all) and I'm 99% there now.

11s seem more unforgiving that 10s. I can swear the cog to pulley looked aligned (I've always eye-balled it) but playing with the small cog limit screw did the trick for me.

I've also noticed that modern bikes and flexy aluminum derailleur hangers can get slightly out of whack without there having been a crash. I had one bike driving me crazy and it turned out that one screw on the derailleur hanger was loose and despite being tightly clamped by the skewer still affected shifting greatly. I had another situation where a skewer was slightly bent and it was throwing the shifting off greatly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

I like to keep the factory grease as long as possible. IMO the factory grease is better than any aftermarket lube you can get. I usually degrease the outside of the chain to keep it clean. I don't start to use lube until about 500 miles on the chain. I currently use Prolink, but may have to try the Dumonde Tech Lite again.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.