Sram BBright crank fit on BB30 frame: Same as Quarq ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

HI all,

I'm thinking of putting a Sram S900 BBright crankset on a BB30 frameset.

Since the spindle lenght of the S900 is longer, intended for larger BBRight frames, from what I understand, the crank arms are at the same angle than the Quarq SRam Red arms ?

So, the large spacer used between the left side arm and the frame, as well as the preload adjuster, can be used on this setup and fit just right, so they clear evenly both stays ? Right ?

If not, can I take out and put a shorter spindle...like the Cannondale Hollowgram :oops: ?

Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

deleted
Last edited by bikerjulio on Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

LouisN

by LouisN

It looks like an S900, it is an S-series Sram, but with a long PF30/BB30 spindle.
I think it comes from a Cervelo bike.

I edited the title to clear it up...sort of.

Other edit: I think it's more like an S950.

I might have found a clue : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101695

jooo

by jooo

On the recent models at least, it seems like SRAM cranks with 30mm spindles and removable spiders are basically the same with different decals. That means the same models are fine on BB/PF30 and BBright frames. I think some people have even used them on BSA68 and 386 frames with a little bit of work.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

LouisN, Please post a picture as it says more then 1000 words. Thanks.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Cosmo

by Cosmo

SRAM S series BB30 and Quarq BB30 cranks use the same spindle/spider interface and have a bearing preload adjuster. These fit in BB30/PF30/BBright frames. For BBRight you remove the bearing preload adjuster and replace with a wave spring (and clear plastic shims if needed) for bearing preload. Both will use a spacer on the drive side (9mm by memory).

There are "wide spindle" versions to fit frames with 73mm BB30/PF30 shells and 135 OLD rear (ie-disc brake frames). They have "wide spindle" written on the spindle. If it doesn't say this then intended for a 68mm BB30/PF30 shell or BBRight.

All SRAM Red BB30 cranks which do not have a removable spider (which is any version not a powermeter) are true 68mm BB30/PF30 fit only. First gen used a wave spring, current uses a preload adjuster.

Louis-For your crank (a SRAM S series BB30 already installed in a BBRight frame by your description) then you'll need to do the following to install in a BB30/PF30 frame: source the preload adjuster assembly (either which originally shipped with the crank or as a spare part), install on the spindle against the left arm (no wave spring or clear plastic spacers used-there is a 1-2mm thick black alloy spacer between the arm and adjuster) , install left arm in frame, large spacer goes on the drive side of the spindle once in bike and install right arm. No spacers on the non drive-the preload adjust handles the minor spacing adjustment needed. Be sure spacer on drive side is the correct one. This assumes a 68mm shell BB30/PF30 frame.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

LouisN

by LouisN

That's what I though.
Thanks for the precision guys :beerchug: .

The crankset came without any preload adjuster ring or any spacers, so what looked like a good deal at first became too shady for me to go ahead with the purchase, then buy the different accessories and fit on my BB30 frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com