Supersix DI2 Upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Paoloest

by Paoloest

Dear mates,

I am thinking about upgrading to a DI2. At the Moment my 2014 cannondale supersix evo himod Team is equipped with a sram red. As you can imagine, it is a non-compatible DI2 Frame (no native one) with no holes for internal wiring. I have not seen any external wiring Solutions but not sure if it Looks very nice.

So the question is - is there a good way to install a di2 on the mechanical frameset? Alternative 1 is creating new holes or 2 to using external wiring. What do you think.

Next Thing - going with da di2 9070 or is the ultegra 6870 good enough with a big saving. Would prfer internal battery or under the seatpost

Thanks a lot

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

I was in the same boat earlier and decided to go and install Di2 on a non Di2 frame using the shimano wire covers. The install was super easy and is very clean if you do it right. My bike was set up for all external cabling and the stick on guides make the job so much easier to hide. I just bought an extra pack of them to cover up very little lose wiring that was left hanging. As you can see I went with the external battery and have had no problems with the set up.

A bunch of carbon, with a bunch of electronic parts

RussellS

by RussellS

I have the Shimano 7970 Di2 system on a Ridley Helium frame. Nothing internal, not wires, not battery. I'm using the white cable covers. Pictures above show the black covers. Only two choices for wire covers, white or black. Also external battery mounted below the bottle cage on the downtube. Overall it looks OK. No complaints. I'm sure internal would be prettier, but it looks OK external. So my advice is to think about going external with wires and battery. Definitely do not drill any holes in the frame!!!!!!!!!!!! External looks OK. As for whether to even do it, your choice. Dura Ace or Ultegra, your choice.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I did the same thing as 06SpiceRed on Supersix'02. The only difference was the battery. I cut the battery cable and passed it through the little drain hole under the bottom bracket, and placed the battery inside the seat tube. Looks a little more cleaner IMHO.

showdown

by showdown

Just a thought:

If your frame has downtube bosses that are either bolted or riveted to the frame (as opposed to molded into the frame or bonded to the frame) then your frame already has holes in it that can be repurposed for internal wiring. Simply remove the screw or more likely drill out the rivet and voila; you have an access point. You can also tap into the rear brake cable hole if your bike has internal routing...

I don't know Cannondale so I'm not sure how theirs are applied but worth a shot. Also, if your frame is out of warranty (any frame older than a year in the USA is likely out of warranty) then drilling your frame isn't a real concern, they're certainly strong enough even with a 3mm hole... after all there are holes all over the frames :)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

"Cannondale frames (except frames for Freeride, and Dirt Jumping bikes, see below) are warranted by Cycling Sports Group, Inc. against manufacturing defects in materials and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner... This limited warranty is void if the bicycle is subjected to abuse, neglect, improper repair, improper maintenance, alteration, modification, an accident or other abnormal, excessive, or improper use."

Make a hole, invalidate the warranty.

tinozee

by tinozee

Why not just wait for FSA or SRAM wireless groups coming this summer? I have a feeling DI2 and EPS is going to seem like a wired power meter soon.

saikoulogy01

by saikoulogy01

Agree with tinozee, I'm waiting for whichever of these two that comes first for my evohm mech only frame

Paoloest

by Paoloest

good to hear. Thought the sram wireless are for beyond going to mass production. Do you think there will be a new di2 soon? I am not unhappy with my red so i think i can wait ;)
Thanks a lot

showdown

by showdown

I'm excited to see the production version of SRAM's electronic offering (here in Chicago we've seen and played with it on friend's bikes for a while). That said, I remember back to the first offerings from Shimano and Campagnolo and see just how far they've come since then and for that reason I wouldn't buy a first year SRAM or FSA e-grouppo.

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

showdown wrote:...and for that reason I wouldn't buy a first year SRAM or FSA e-grouppo.

^^^
This.

Plus is fun to see what kind of shit show can happen with first production models :wink:
A bunch of carbon, with a bunch of electronic parts

ms6073

by ms6073

Had 9070 Di2 for 9-months and really like it but I suspect that with SRAM's wireless system close at hand, Shimano may already have something similar in the works but the company has been good at keeping it under wraps like the m9050 Di2 mtb group.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

allenpg

by allenpg

I offered to upgrade my wife's Supersix to external Di2, but she was happy with SRAM Red for the time. She also didn't want the external wires. Either we'll wait until she gets a new frame or go wireless in the future.

tinozee

by tinozee

I hear you guys about being an early adopter but wireless seems so good. I am hoping that sram takes such a long time in development to get it refined. They already learned the hard way with the hydro brakes. FSA stuff is pretty confidential I guess, but I did find some chatter about a mechanic saying it was awesome. It sounds surprising to be honest, as older Vision drive train parts were mediocre. But if three world tour teams are in line to use it in grand tours, it better be damn good or the world will know.

It reminds me, did anyone ever see the Sram advert with Cav sprinting to the line and his chain was totally off the rings? It was an ironic mistake by marketing I think. I'm pretty sure he hated sram. Personally, I quite like Red.

Finally - a Shimano wireless would be sick. Let's hope we get three to pick from.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allenpg

by allenpg

I thought I would post a few photos of my wife's 2012 Cannondale SuperSix upgraded to Ultregra Di2. She ended up wanting to go with Di2, and i had spares from upgrading my Evo to 11-speed. I figured I would drill out the frame based on what I saw others has done to their frames. I know tjat voids the warranty, but i saw used frames weren't going for much on eBay. So, I thought, what the heck! I ended up using the Shimano internal seatpost battery. Sorry, I don't have internal photos, but I used a Wheels Manufacturing BB30 to Shimano adapter and ran the cables around it. Wife likes the bike and the install wasn't too hard. BTW, I used the new Park Tool internal cable routing tool, which helped quite a bit.