Decisions on new bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RussellS

by RussellS

Tinea Pedis wrote:I spoke to Vini Fantini boys in 2012 at Langkawi - on Cipo's and they looked terrific. Their thoughts? Bikes "hurt their arses", direct quote. Otherwise "yeah, it's a bike". Does everything else fine. No better than any others. But hurts their bums :lol: which coming from a Pro, takes some doing.

Odd these professionals did not instruct their mechanics to put 25 or 28mm tubulars on the bikes. And inflate the tires to 90-95-100 psi. That would have made the bikes as soft as a pillow. Or maybe the saddle maker these pros were under contract with produced hard, narrow, uncomfortable saddles. Too bad these pros were not smart enough to use a Brooks Swift saddle. Then they would have been comfortable.

sawyer

by sawyer

RussellS wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:I spoke to Vini Fantini boys in 2012 at Langkawi - on Cipo's and they looked terrific. Their thoughts? Bikes "hurt their arses", direct quote. Otherwise "yeah, it's a bike". Does everything else fine. No better than any others. But hurts their bums :lol: which coming from a Pro, takes some doing.

Odd these professionals did not instruct their mechanics to put 25 or 28mm tubulars on the bikes. And inflate the tires to 90-95-100 psi. That would have made the bikes as soft as a pillow. Or maybe the saddle maker these pros were under contract with produced hard, narrow, uncomfortable saddles. Too bad these pros were not smart enough to use a Brooks Swift saddle. Then they would have been comfortable.

LOL ... you only missed the installation of suspension forks

To be fair the Bond is praised for comfort

Does anyone have an actual weight for a Bond frame (along with size)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stats

by Stats

Welcome to the forum!

I live in Australia as well so can share some of my experiences with the bikes you've mentioned as well as comparing local prices.
First off, I bought a Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod recently and it was a very disappointing experience. I had two bikes, the first bike had a problem with the crankset not being true (bit of a warp in it) and the second bike of the same model had issues too - paint on the top tube not being straight, bleed marks where the white met the black, a dip and pit/crack near the bottom bracket as well as contaminants under the clear coat in various places. These were both brand new bikes. On both bikes the SiSL2 cranksets had a gap/play between the spacer and the wave washer on the NDS - I had to get separate shims to space it out (which I never used because both bikes were taken back for problems). At the end of the day the quality, especially considering the price is very very poor and I wouldn't buy another Cannondale - an email to Cannondale expressing my disappointment went unanswered.

I've no experience with any Scott or Specialized bikes - I'm not sure if Scott are their own importer or whether they come through another importer but Specialized have their head office in Port Melbourne I believe so any warranty issues that may come up should be sorted quickly.

I've had a Pinarello Prince, Dogma, Dogma 2, Dogma 65.1 and ALL have been far better finished than any of the other bikes you have mentioned. They're definitely a cut above the rest in terms of finish (and one of the last makes to still offer a threaded bottom bracket, a good thing IMO) plus the ride of these bikes was unbelievably good. Plus the Dogma F8 can be made up into mech or Di2 builds on the same frame. However, cost is a massive issue here and I think you'll find it tough buying an F8 locally with DADi2 fitted for under $10k with any sort of decent finishing kit. However, of the one's you've mentioned, the F8 would have the best fit and finish and would be the one I would buy, money not being an issue.

No experience with the Trek's either but I'd get the Emonda over the Madone for the simple reason that the rear brakes are in a crap spot on the Madone (under the BB) and it appears that they might be phasing the model out because you can only get the 7 series Madone in a carbon frame for this year model - they used to have heaps of variants with differing modulus carbon to suit different price points but this appears to have all stopped for this year.

The only other brand I would recommend you have a look at if you wanted to save a bit of cash is the Giant TCR Advanced SL bikes. The 2014 models can be found for 40%+ off RRP as a complete bike with DADi2 - heaps of spare cash with your budget to buy the best wheels you can find and anything else you may want to add. Only downside to the Giant is it's certainly no exotic and I don't like ISP's that much personally (and like most new bikes these days you're also getting Giant branded everything except the groupset and saddle).

Anyway, enjoy.

kgt

by kgt

sawyer wrote:Does anyone have an actual weight for a Bond frame (along with size)

Cipollini bond / size large (56):
Frame: 1181gr
Fork:395gr
Headset:75gr
Seatpost:222gr
Seatpost clamp:27gr

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=128557&hilit=cipollini+bond

sawyer

by sawyer

kgt wrote:
sawyer wrote:Does anyone have an actual weight for a Bond frame (along with size)

Cipollini bond / size large (56):
Frame: 1181gr
Fork:395gr
Headset:75gr
Seatpost:222gr
Seatpost clamp:27gr

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=128557&hilit=cipollini+bond

Thanks KGT!

Ouch! I just couldn't do that weight in 2015.

kgt

by kgt

I agree with stats that among the big guys Giant's quality is a step ahead. Nice stuff.
Considering Cipollini the fact all frames are both mech and electronic groupset compatible is another plus.

sawyer

by sawyer

kgt wrote:Considering Cipollini the fact all frames are both mech and electronic groupset compatible is another plus.

Yeah, that is a plus I agree. Annoys me about Canyon you're locked into one or the other ... without modifying which is not a route I go down

Trainor6513

by Trainor6513

Come on then what have you decided on?

KCookie

by KCookie

Well guys I have chosen a bike, luckily I was able to borrow what I have bought for a few days to try out. It might not be to everyone's taste, but is any bike. I'm very happy with my purchase which is why I should keep it to myself as there's bound to be comments pointing out the bad in it. Lol. !!!!

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Starts a thread about a bike choice, only to not say when the choice is made...

Amazing.

KCookie

by KCookie

MarkTwat, sorry twain, you've made three posts, not one of them helpful in any way, just bitchy. My five year old daughter seems more mature than you. I would like to thank everyone else though who has posted as you have taken time to give helpful and informative information. Once I collect the bike I will posts pics. Cheers guys.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Relax. I'm just throwing some honest opinion your way - you just seem to be taking it poorly. How are you going to react when someone in 'the real world' has the same take on your decision making process?

My second post even exonerated you and what you go with. How many people want the Canyon Aeroad - that have no real use for an aero bike, but want it because it's badass. Plenty. What you've posted says you want a bike that looks sick more than is as fast as can be. I stress, there is nothing wrong with wanting that. Dammit, you should want a bike you love to stare at. Just don't feed people lines about how an aero frame might "suit you better". Just say "I like the aero designs, they look sweet, so that's why I chose...". You'll find people will nod and agree rather than snigger.

As an aside, fact you can't appreciate the fact you started a thread like this then not letting us know what the choice was is truly amazing.

KCookie

by KCookie

Just for you then Mark. !!!
Lightweight Urgestalt frameset
Lightweight Meilensteins
Lightweight bars & tape
Enve stem
DA Di2
Selle smp glider
Time expresso 12s
Conti tyres & tubes.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

That, sir, is a win. We'll be looking forward to the Intro for it.

(just debrand the Enve stem so it doesn't take away from all the other Lightweight branded components)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com