BIANCHI - aluminium frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ohergo

by ohergo

Hello there,

I'm trying to figure out the quality of the aluminium Bianchi frames made in the early and mid 2000's.
I find out different tubing names but I can't find the quality relationship between them, which one is the top, the lowest etc.

Some examples:
Bianchi XL Ev2
Bianchi Alloy Pro
Bianchi Lite Alloy
Bianchi Mega Pro aluminium Dedacciai 7005

Any information and data would be very welcome. As well any review, personal experience etc.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

http://classiclightweights.net/wp-conte ... p12-13.jpg

Funny you bring this up, I just picked up a "perfect" trainer use only EV XL2 on ebay. It was the top of the range, followed by the Alloy Pro, then the Lite Alloy. The Mega Pro was the predecessor to the XL Ev2, 1999 I think, and was a Reparto Corse bike but without the dramatically shaped tubing.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

soracabana

by soracabana

thegunner

by thegunner

where did the fg lite team frames fit into all of this?

glepore

by glepore

The ev3 and 4 had carbon rear triangles, at least on some ... for comparison to the 980g ev4 linked, my ev2 weighed in at 1280 in a size 50.

FG lite is a later bike 2006 or so.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

PJCM

by PJCM

FG Lite frames came in full aluminium and carbon stay versions and were ridden by Liquigas around 05 & 06. They were part of Bianchi's top tier "HoC" range and had strengthening foam injected around the bottom bracket.

The full aluminium version was generally more popular for its stiffness with Di Luca riding a modified spec with stiffer rear stays.

From memory they were the last aluminium bikes regularly used at Pro Tour level.

glepore

by glepore

The foam was added around 2001 after a bunch of cracked frames around the bb chainstay junction.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Still have my FG Lite Anny Ed. Rides nice but not really stiff enough for serious racing. Still train a lot on it. Image

ohergo

by ohergo

So after checking the catalog (thanks for the pictures!) we could say this is the quality depending on the tubing:
BIANCHI XL EV2
BIANCHI L LITE ALLOY (7005 aluminium)
BIANCHI M ALLOY PRO (7000 aluminium)

And later on we have EV3 and EV4.
Is it possible these two models were easy to break or crack?
How is the quality for the late 90's Mega Pro aluminium Dedacciai 7005 frames?

Asking all these questions because it has been a long time since I want to buy a Bianchi.
Right now I have a Wilier made of Columbus Altec aluminium with carbon fork and rear triangle, nice and smooth ride but I have the name Bianchi stuck in my head.

I'm trying to figure out if I should try to find a good aluminium frame such as XL EV2 or 7005 or if I should try to find a Columbus Genius frame because with steel you never go wrong... specially if we are talking about second hand bikes. I also have the chance to buy an EV4 NOS frame but I have find too much information about them cracking on headset or BB...

Any advice? Thanks to all for your help!

glepore

by glepore

The very early ev2's were the ones subject to cracking, before the foam was added . The Mega Pro's didn't have the same failure rate, but were built heavier-the first EV2's pushed the limit. Any aluminum frame is subject to fatigue failures, see the Cannondale thread.

The EV2 is sort of an icon because of Pantani. Nice riding bike, not superlight by todays standards, but a great all around ride for alu. The ev3 would be similar to the Willier, but having one in Ulrich colors might be cool.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Here's mine. This ones DA got a Record one to.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423659016.420599.jpg

ohergo

by ohergo

As far as I know Pantani road a Bianchi Mega Pro XL Reparto Corse with Dedacciai 7000-series and later an XL EV2 with the Giro versión on the colour scheme.

About the EV2 how can I know if the frame has the foam added? They are the ones with a thick foam around the joints?

glepore

by glepore

He rode the Giro color scheme after in pink and in Tour in 2000, the yellow/black one before he took the lead in Giro. You're right about the '99 bike.
Bianchi did do some pink EV2's for the public, but they're pretty darn rare, if you chance across one I'd snap it up.
All ev2's post 2000 have foam. On mine you can see the grey foam in the seatube hole in the bb area.

kgt

by kgt

Most hi end aluminium Bianchis (both road and xc) were amazing rides with a heritage. Not frames for everyday use maybe but really special.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

loepzuiver2023

by loepzuiver2023

I'm also a bit confused about the differences in the Bianchi Mega Pro 1998 (Pantani Mercato Uno edition)

Mega Pro XL Triple Butted Boron Steel
Mega Pro XL SC61.10A
Mega Pro XL Dedacciai 7000
Mega Pro XL Dedacciai 7005

The 7000 is the one Pantani road in the Tour de France, right? Are there specifics on how you can recognize this besides the obvious sticker? Just to check in case there is no sticker, or an replica decal sticker.