Adamo saddles for increased power and reduced numbness?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CBRE

by CBRE

Doing a lot of longer rides this time of year(4-6+ hours) and have been getting numbness with standard saddles, I have a Selle Italia SLR superflow 130 on my race bike, some model of Prologo on my Supersix rain bike, and a Kontact saddle on my cross bike(like this the best out of all std saddle I have used). I ordered a Adamo Attack and will try it next week in AZ for some long training rides, im hoping for a small bump in power and a relief in numbness on long rides. Anyone make a switch and have positive results?
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sykes

by Sykes

I've heard they are great for TT, but not so much for road. I will be interested to hear what you think.

showdown

by showdown

I tried the Adamo saddle as well as the ultra-light Dash Saddles version of the same design looking for a better fit than my go-to; the Fizik Arionne. The Arionne had begun to become uncomfortable and I was open to a change.

I couldn't stand the Adamo or the Dash. Could. Not. Stand. It.

The saddle was unequivocally the most uncomfortable saddle upon which I've ever sat. I loathed the fact that I could not move around on the saddle; no sliding on the rivet, no scooting back on a climb etc... The nose area that is supposed to support all the weight was simply way too wide for me and during the week that I used the saddle I suffered mightily with saddle sores and chafing.

I promptly bought a new Arionne and found that my old one had just run its course and was spent. I haven't looked back since.

Now all that said, I have two teammates, both cat 2 racers like myself who switched to the Adamo on all their bikes and swear by them, particularly for long trainer rides where there's more pressure on the saddle than when riding outdoors.

This is a bit of tired advice but I would recommend getting properly fitted as that can usually solve a lot of pain issues.

G'luck!

Slagter

by Slagter

Several category 1 roadracers here ride that saddle. I've tried it, and it's not for me though. Every behind is different. It also depends on your weight. I'm 86 kg at the moment, and I'm very satisfied with the Selle Italia SLR TRI, because of the extra padding on the nose, where I am most of the time:

tinozee

by tinozee

ISM saddles are amazing imo. I have ridden the Breakaway for about 2 years and love it. I rode the Attack for a month or two but it was a little wide in the middle where the breakaway has a cut more like other saddles. Prior to these I always rode carbon rail antares, which is still great for non racing group and solo rides where I sit back in the saddle the entire time. The Adamo opened up a couple new positions (ones that were more painful or impossible without a well padded cutout) and the room to rotate forward more at the pelvis. Unlike others' experiences, I find that I can move around way more on this saddle and especially can stay on the rivet and hammer, which was limited on the tip of the antares which was sort of a dildo up front.

I think it's something you have to try honestly. And you have to give it a couple weeks to dial the fit for both the seat position and the front area of the sit bones which can be tender at first. If you want to PM I can go on and on, because I think this saddle is a game changer. You can also race the hell out of it, sprints, TT pos, etc. I have had two full seasons on it, best ever results.

Edit - I should also add that there may be several more good options for you and that I agree it's mostly about your individual anatomy. For me, when hips rotated back I have fairly wide 135mm sit bone spacing, rotated forward, my pubic rami align perfectly with the breakaway forks and this is the key. The tip of an antares or other traditional saddle is 100% on soft tissue in a forward pos, which sucks. Personally I am always up for hearing about and trying new products and i think that's what it takes to find the ideal.
Last edited by tinozee on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grill

by Grill

Bump in power from a saddle? Care to explain...

tinozee

by tinozee

For the record, I am not claiming a bump in power from anything, but you may be replying to the first post (I hate the way this board discourages using quotes). But if you can be more comfortable on a bike, and have more positions, you may be able to USE more of your ability and power.

CBRE

by CBRE

I am excited to try it, will be here Thursday, taking it with me to Tucson.
Curt Brown

CBRE

by CBRE

I am concerned that no pro's that I know of use this saddle.
Curt Brown

tinozee

by tinozee

Well they have to use the team sponsor stuff or make a fake cover to get away with using other brands' stuff. it happens with shoes all the time. Domestic pros Champ Sys/Stan's Proteam all use Attacks. I think Jelly Belly uses the Podium too. I think T Phinney even uses one, but not in uci races.

You will need time to adapt to this saddle! And also to get the fore/aft and tilt set for your fit.

my last year race bike -

And I don't care how it looks it feels good.

kingfishr

by kingfishr

Tried it and could not make it work. Switched to Arione VS which works really well for me

Grill

by Grill

I had an Adamo TT and although it was tolerable (did a 12hr TT on it) it was never comfy. Switched to a Sitero Pro which was better but sstill not great. Now on a Dash TT.9 which is perfect (didn't even notice it on my last 12hr TT). Of course this is all on my T bike, on my ride bike I need a Specialized Toupe (the old light S-Works) to be comfortable. Adamos and other split nose saddles are just too wide in the nose for more upright riding.

tinozee

by tinozee

I really think it depends on the Adamo model, and width of the sit bones and crotch gap. I am 6'3" 158, tall and thin, and the front part of the breakaway is plenty narrow enough for me to ride far back and upright without any chafe, it's just the same as a road saddle to me, just with a better/usable nose. The attack however, was too narrow in back and too wide up in the middle, sort of diamond shaped, which did leave only a TT or aero/crit like position feeling good to me. That's sort of aligned with what Grill is saying about the TT model. The subtle differences with saddles... you really need to test the feel to be sure.

One more I want to check out for normal road riding is the Cobb Randee for long distance road riding. That thing might just be great under my wider butt bones. Here is the desc:

"John Cobb has spent over two years developing the all new Randee’ saddle, the second offering in the JOF lineup. "Randee” is short for Randanneur, designed for long distance riders, riders that goes out and ride several hundred miles over a weekend and Gran Fondo riders that like to put in hard fast miles. This short nosed saddle uses a new base design and new material selections. This gives the saddle unmatched adjustability and a wide 155mm rear support area. The nose is only 48mm wide so that as the rider positions themselves “just off the front” on this seat, there is no chaffing but plenty of pressure relief and support." - See more at: http://www.cobbcycling.com/shop/roadsaddles/randee

That one is seriously ugly though, like a padded eagle or something.

showdown

by showdown

I think any bump in power has less to to with any one particular saddle and more to do with the fit achieved by changing from the existing saddle. The best way to get a "bump" in power (and I put "bump" in quotes as you're not really gaining anything that you didn't already have but for whatever reason were squandering) is with a good fit. Save the money on a new toy and get fitted first and then go by shiny bits.

Also, as competitive cyclists we're so vulnerable and quick to jump on any new idea, trend or gizmo that will give us an edge, keep us competitive longer or "bump" our power that there tends to be a lot of lemming behavior: that guys is strong and has X component, I gotta get it...

tinozee

by tinozee

Well, I think we have been around long enough to know that a product does not increase power. It's unfortunate that the wording "bump in power" is causing so much distraction. The point is that it gives you more comfort in power positions, it allows you to more easily get into power positions and stay there. And regarding fit, it's something that you have to understand on your own imo, via trial and error, film, etc. So many fit studios are total bs!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com