Propel Advanced Pro or SL?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which one should I get?

Propel Advanced SL - White
74%
Propel Advanced PRO - Orange
26%

Total votes: 34

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Looking to build up an aero bike with Ultegra Di2. After a long mulling period, I finally decided on a Giant Propel Advanced SL because it fits me really well as it has the same geometry as my TCR Advanced SL.

After some brief shopping, found out that the color I want was limited edition, and sadly my size is not in stock anymore...... With that said, not a huge fan of the other color scheme of the SL, though the white kind of interests me. That kind of almost ended my shopping mood.

After casually looking at the PRO version, which I never even bothered to skim through because I really love the ISP on my TCR Advanced SL due to how comfortable it is, the orange one really caught my eyes! So I thought, maybe I'll consider getting the PRO version. If I do, it would be between these two:

By the way, I am only getting the frame set and building it up. Depending on how hard I negotiate, I can save $600-$900 by going to the PRO version. I really do like the orange color scheme more than the white, but I do like the ISP on the SL. Which one do you guys think I should get?

Here are some of my concerns:

How much comfort would I actually lose with going to the PRO with a regular seat post?

What's the weight difference between a PRO and SL?

Internal Di2 battery possible on the PRO?

bungis

by bungis

You can get the orange Pro or white SL as just a frameset? Thought they were only for complete bikes.

MNX1024 wrote:Here are some of my concerns:

How much comfort would I actually lose with going to the PRO with a regular seat post?

Internal Di2 battery possible on the PRO?

I'd wager you'd notice the difference.

I have the 2015 Advanced Pro 0 (orange) and AFAIK it uses the standard Di2 seatpost battery, so yes.

I've seen both in person and they each look good but the orange really pops. The Pro 1 also looks fantastic maybe even better if you're into cool over warm colors.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

bungis wrote:You can get the orange Pro or white SL as just a frameset? Thought they were only for complete bikes.

Officially, no, but let's just say I have my ways. :wink:

I actually don't like that shade of blue on the PRO1 and how they did that color scheme. Like you said, the orange really pops and I do like how it's matte too. That's why I'm having a hard time deciding between the PRO and SL. Both has things I like and dislike.

Svetty

by Svetty

It's your money. I doubt you'd notice the difference in vertical compliance overmuch. Assuming you can get past the less neat appearance without the ISP then go with the Pro and enjoy the orange.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i would wait and go ISP for a color that you like. maybe 2015 model?

zirxo

by zirxo

The isp is so much better looking than the non-isp version of the Propel, with that said the orange one is a much nicer paint scheme that'll stand out a lot more.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I have a Propel Advanced (the black/orange 2014) and it's more comfortable than expected. The aero seatpost and frame work really well. 25mm tyres will always do more though. The 2014's brakes don't correctly clear them but the 2015's should have that fixed according to Giant Europe.
Ride it like you stole it

sharkman

by sharkman

I own the all black isp version and would look anywhere else if it was a non isp frameset. Have to admit it's pure aesthetics and doubt if someone would notice the difference.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

I do have to say, aesthetic is also one of the reason that I'm interested in the SL. Seeing how the poll is leaning towards the SL more, it is swaying me a bit, but I really can't get that orange paint job out of my mind. It's really nice!

If only a this was still in stock in my size....

bungis

by bungis

More aesthetics:
I guess another question is what wheels you'll be running. As much as I love my orange Pro 0, it would probably look bad without deep dish wheels while the white SL would still look good imo.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

I already have a set of November Rail 52 set aside for it.

LivingDreams

by LivingDreams

I have ridden the Adv. Pro and Adv. SL....I recently picked up the 2015 Adv 2 so I could demo the new 11 speed 105 to see how it rides. I currently have Speedplay Chromoly Zeros and a Fizik Antares Curve and HED Jet 6 as additional ad ons. Currently the bike is at 18lbs 15ozs. It rides just as good frame wise as the Pro and SL. However if you are looking to shave an additional 42 grams and add stiffness and compliance the SL is the way to go. I am about to add a Red 22 groupo and the new HED Jet 4 + Black and Zipp Carbon SL bars which will take the weight down to 15.2. Love my Giants !!!!

jeffy

by jeffy

42 grams between SL and Adv Pro? rly?

18 lbs 15 oz ... do you mean 18 lbs 5 oz or 19 lbs 1 oz?

how did the 5800 hold up against your experience with various top end groupsets?

JamieL

by JamieL

Two years ago i raced the PRO, last year i raced the SL. I put more than 10,000km on both of them and have to say the SL is totally worth it.

I found the PRO to feel a bit dead and wooden, i really didn't like it that much. The SL was noticeably lighter, stiffer and just more fun to ride. So nice in fact that i bought it from my team last year to keep for special occasions. Obviously colour is important but the white SL looks sweet in the flesh anyway.

bungis

by bungis

Voted SL because of the ride quality. Better layup and the ISP makes a difference with this bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com