need advice about old steel frames and old campy group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grouk

by grouk

hello

this is not exactly a weight weenies topic but there are people here who knows a lot I need some clarification and advice
i found in a auction site this frame and fell in love with it
is nothing special is columbus steel and have some nice lugs and frame details.
now mi doubt is what do with that?
first i whant do a really nice cool paint job (where i dont have problems, "paint is my thing"), but then do what?
fixie?
truth faithful restoration? (budget issues)
assemble in the cheapest way so that i can ride it?

other question i found that groupset what could you tel me about it, i think is a valentino

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

having built old bikes back up, I can tell you they always cost more than you budget for. the old bikes cost more than modern bikes in my case.

grouk

by grouk

I am sure that.
i have now finished my new venge and and blow the budjet, but i am a projects guy and i need to find my new money pit, but this is my first old bike,

my favorite groupset is shimano arabesque, i just love it and there are a few on ebay, what do you think about arabesque, and about that campy in the photo

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I don't think there's any match between the frame which looks to be '90's and the antique Campy bits (50's ?).

Other than that, I'm no help.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PJCM

by PJCM

The catalog archive over at campyonly.com should allow you to date and model those components

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I have not found a catalog pre-1953. The Gran Sport RD came out in 1950 and had limit screws at the side. I cannot identify that RD from the "50's catalogs I looked at although it certainly looks to be of that vintage. Perhaps a lower level?

One.

grouk

by grouk

and about arabesque what you guys have to say?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

OP you are right about it looking like a Valantino set. Which would make it from the '60's. The catalogs from that era are not easy to find. It appears in a slightly different form in the '67 catalog.

One.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, the Valentino group was my first exposure to Campagnolo. Was fascinated by how it looked compared to the plastic Simplex derailleur that I thought was the best thing ever at the time. Seems every bike I had back then was inevitably stolen. Not the best childhood neighborhood. Sorry can't tell you much more about it. But seeing it brings back memories for sure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

grouk

by grouk

tanks, even if i dont use it in that frame, de seller wants 50€ do you think i should buy it for other ocasion or not worth anything

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

My experience with buying and selling Campy parts does not go back this far, but in general well worn parts from a lower group are worth diddly squat.

They look like more of a conversation piece than anything you'd actually want to use on a bike.

If you are really interested in value you could try the "completed sales" search on eBay, but sadly they don't keep results for too long.

One.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That old campagnolo kit is a bit dated for the frame. Will the rear mech even fit as you probably have a proper hanger to bolt a mech onto.

8 speed veloce or a then a is not too expensive to buy neither is 9 speed and they work well. You could try shimano 6401/2 as that simply works very well all day long. Arabesque while pretty is early 80's and looks to early for the frame beside the single pivot brakes are a bit lacking which is fine for a play bike but for something to ride regularly then a dual pivot brake like the 6402 is far better.

So you can see which groupset I like practical ones. Your frame looks practical that why.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I would not spend any money on this frame or this groupset.