Alloy Tubular wheels - what are you riding?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mentok

by mentok

no one else is on kinlin tb-25?

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I am, they've been okay but I will say their material seems a bit soft. Mega scoring on one longish rain ride and I managed to dent the rear Saturday in a pot hole and I only weigh 150lbs. Plus, they're narrow by today's standards and the tire bed is shallow without a seam well. But otherwise they're the shit bro! I'd get the HED Belgiums if I had it to do over. I know they're pricey but I already have tubular Shamals and some Mavic Reflex pounders to ride plud all sorts of carbon hoops when we get down to business around these parts.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I'm a slut for alloy tubs...
Neutrons- laterally stiff yet comfy, beware spoke breakage tho
Racing Zero- early gen, ok but a bit harsh
He'd Ardennes- nice but not much special
Dura ace/chrono rims- light, comfy

sawyer

by sawyer

Much as I'm a tub fan and enjoy contemplating new wheelsets I struggle with justifying a set of alloy tubulars

I can see the case for it if one lived in a mountainous area - having the ultimate control of an alloy brake surface in the wet, and safety of tubs for fast descents

Other than those conditions though, is there any advantage vs carbon tubulars, given the weight downside? There isn't that much /any of a price differential in it these days, other than perhaps at the really low end?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ergott

by ergott

sawyer wrote: There isn't that much /any of a price differential in it these days, other than perhaps at the really low end?

I'm not sure I understand this. A set of wheels with something like DT hubs and Escape rims or Nemesis is going to cost a lot less than a set of Zipps, Shimano's, Enves etc.

LouisN

by LouisN

I have two sets with Kinlin TB25 rims.
Not the most perfect in terms of finish, but excellent rims IMO. I like both sets.
I ride with 22-23mm tubs.

My main wheels the last two years have been laced on front Alchemy ELF, and rear DT240, 20/24 with CX Rays.
I built a set last year with front BHS SLF71W, and rear White Industries H3, 18/20h with CX rays.

Although I intended the last build for my 100 lbs daughter, I used it for at least 1000 km's (I'm 170-175 lbs). I'd say it's as stiff as the 24H DT240 one. No stiffness problems whatsoever, never felt the brake pads, even repeated sprinting with 1350 Watts bursts.

Louis :)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Dura Ace 7800 front and Ksyrium SSC rear, with Conti Comp 25mm. Good enough for (t)raining.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have a few.

HED Belgium c2 28H rims on record hubs hmm mm lovely
Ambrosia Nemesis 32f/36r on du race 7403 hubs heavy but still nice to ride.
super champion arc d'ceil rims on large flange record hubs. I like the light rims lovely to ride.

I want to build up the mavic gp4's yellow and blue label rims I have on record hubs And a I have a set of 28H ambrosio Montreal rims that weight 375g each I want to lace to some white industries T11 hubs but how many wheels can I ride at once. These ambrosio are under weight but along way hense I am hanging on to them.

KB

by KB

Here are mine. The rims are FIR, but I've no idea which model. The hubs are Tune and spokes are Sapim CX Ray.

sawyer

by sawyer

ergott wrote:
sawyer wrote: There isn't that much /any of a price differential in it these days, other than perhaps at the really low end?

I'm not sure I understand this. A set of wheels with something like DT hubs and Escape rims or Nemesis is going to cost a lot less than a set of Zipps, Shimano's, Enves etc.

Hi - I agree there is some difference, though to be fair the carbon tubs you've referenced are generall top-end.

By way of example ...

Decent carbon tubs can be had from about £500. Branded pro-level ones such as FFWDs / Vision from about £700 ... even new Bora Ones are less than £1k in some places

The build you mention say on a 32/24 build would be roughly

£100 for spokes (CX Ray)
£300 for DT 240s hubset
£120 for Ambrosio Nemsis rims
£5 for nipples
£40 for build

So in the £550 - £600 range. Admittedly you could knock £100 or so off that if you went with cheaper hubs.

Even so ... it's not that different in price to the "bottom end" of the carbon tubs ridden by pro teams
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Nemesis rim in 24H you'll be luckly as it not made. CX-ray spokes are cmmonly at least £2 each
No shop builds for £20 per wheel. If they did they would go out of buisness. I would worry about the quality of the build if the shop was charging £20 per wheel. That means they are spending 30 minutes on it.
The rims are normally £70 each so if you are going to quote cost lets make them realistic.

also the 240 hubs are the worst ones to use with a shallow rim like the nemesis. I can assure you a rear 32H build with the nemesis rim, 32 CX-ray spokes and the 240 hub would be flexible and would go out of true for a powerfull rider. I have a 36H rear nemesis build with lasers and the Dura Ace 7403 hub (wider flange seperation than the the DT 240 hubs by 8mm) and that is not as stiff as I like. Over cobbles in flanders last year I put the wheel out slightly. since then all rear nemesis wheels have been built with sapim race spokes.

stormur

by stormur

bm0p700f wrote:The rims are normally £70 each so if you are going to quote cost lets make them realistic.

also the 240 hubs are the worst ones to use with a shallow rim like the nemesis. I can assure you a rear 32H build with the nemesis rim, 32 CX-ray spokes and the 240 hub would be flexible and would go out of true for a powerfull rider.

Nemesis cost max 45 GBP ( vide shop of this forum owner ) , and I can assure you a Nemesis on 240 won't be flexible - just use on DS Aerospoke, all the rest Aerolight ( if you really need and want aero spokes in 32 spoke wheelset…… :roll: ). If cx rays all the way was your choice, then don't "complain" for faulty wheel design :mrgreen:

On not bladed spokes( 2-1.7/1.8-2 on DS , even thinner everywhere elese ) Nemesis+ 240 works more than fine under 200lbs guys and CX .

And I can assure you there are countries in EU, where people build wheels for 15€ (12GBP) per each, and are still on the market…

EDIT : instead of DT just use Record hubs ( below 200€ ) - change freehub for "shimano" if you need ( 50€ ) - better and easier to service set.

EDIT 2 : or simply buy Fulcrum Racing Zero tubular for 700€ and save time and 200-300g :thumbup:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

ergott

by ergott

sawyer wrote:Even so ... it's not that different in price to the "bottom end" of the carbon tubs ridden by pro teams

Now consider using either Ultegra or DT 350 hubs. You definitely don't need CX-Rays for a box rim 32 spoke build. Use Round, butted spokes. Now the price plummets.

mattr

by mattr

sawyer wrote:£100 for spokes (CX Ray)
£300 for DT 240s hubset
£120 for Ambrosio Nemsis rims
£5 for nipples
£40 for build
Couple of things, I didn't pay that much for my nemesis rims, despite having to pay through the nose for shipping, and paying 25% vat.
Also not sure why you'd use top end components for what would essentially be a poor weather set of tubs.

(The only reason I'm running DA9000 is cos I got a deal. If I hadn't, it'd have been ultegra.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

My Nemesis on DT240's have been fine, four years in and not needed touching. To be fair, the roads here are not exactly pot holed but the wheels have been used frequently.