Alloy Tubular wheels - what are you riding?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I am thinking of venturing back to the dark side and re-trying tubulars/singles. My preference is an alloy wheel but I know next to nothing about what wheels/rims are around these days - would love to hear what others are riding on
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

kgt

by kgt

Campagnolo record hubs and ambrosio rims are always a good choise. I have used several combinations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

-Miche hubs, FIR ST120 rims
-Velomax Orion II tubular wheelset
Both old and faithful on new bearings.

The KinLin tubular rim TB25 might be worth looking into for lightweight options.

KGT'S suggestion is best though.

ergott

by ergott

I have sets of Mavic GP4s laced to both White Industries and Alchemy hubs. The Alchemy build is with the 1st gen hubs and they are probably the sweetest wheels I've built/owned.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Currently have:
Mavic Cosmic Carbone (oldie but goodie)
Campy Shamal Ultra
Nemesis with Campy Record Hubs
It is hard to find tubular options and even harder to find them at a good price. However, I am selling the Nemesis wheelset and the Shamals. I think the Shamals are sold though.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

Frankie13

by Frankie13

HED Ardennes series wheels are great Alloy tubulars.

Cheers,
Frank

skiezo

by skiezo

Velocity Escape 24F/28R built around a set of DT240 hubs. I love this setup if you are not looking for one of the wide rims. Over 10K miles on them with no issues.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Campagnolo Shamal.

em3

by em3

Campagnolo Nucleon tubulars!....there has ther ever been a better factory wheel set produced ...IMO

mattr

by mattr

Nemesis on dura ace. Ideal for the roads round here.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

em3 wrote:Campagnolo Nucleon tubulars!....there has ther ever been a better factory wheel set produced ...IMO

Just finished servicing the rear hub on my pair. Lots of miles left in them. Nice wheels :D

Also have Nemesis on silver Chorus hubs. Also nice wheels.

For factory wheels today I'd go Shamal or Fulcrum Racing Zero. For handbuilts with modern rims Hed Belgiums.

For non-alloy (aka carbon :| ) loving my Bontrager D3 3s as a wonderful all-round wheelset. :beerchug:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ambrosio Nemesis rims laced to Campy Record hubs, DT Swiss Comp spokes, brass nipples, 3x both sides front and rear. Classic. Several sets hanging around.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jdp211

by jdp211

I have a few sets. Record hubs laced to Campy Barcelona rims with 27s are straight sublime. King R45s laced to Hed Belgium with CX-Rays 20/24 and 25s are racy, stiff, springy, and totally CXable. Hed Ardennes LT saw a season of CX racing and need to be rebuilt (not super happy with them). Record hubs laced to Major Toms or GP4s are yet to be built and will likely see use as CX wheels, though I'd imagine they'd ride well on the road. My favorites are either the Belgiums or Barcelonas.

djm

by djm

Ambrosio Nemesis 32/32H, DT Swiss 240s hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Rode them for a while using some lovely FMB Paris-Roubaix-tubbies, now considering putting on some sturdy Continental Gatorskins and using them for training.

Awesome wheels, stiff and with a reasonable weight and very high durability.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I've got several. DA hubs on Ambrosio Crono's which I love for distance where comfort is more important than stiffness and 2 sets of Velocity Escapes (on CK hubs and DA) for race day. All three sets are <1,400g.

Know a couple of people riding Nemesis rims and they love them.