Mid compact flex on standard 5 bolt?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Has anyone had any experience with flex from a mid compact 52 / 36 setup on a standard 5 bolt crank?

I would like to try a mid compact setup but cannot run any of the new 4 bolt 110mm cranksets. So I was going to get a traditional 110mm 5 bolt crank and use the Praxis mid compact rings.

With this setup is there any added flex noticeably or annoying shift issues? I rode the dura ace 9000 setup and that was wonderfully stiff but I want to see if the same performance can be achieved with some older tech (5 bolt ... old ... looking more that way)
Just ride ..

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

What rings are you on? We have a trainer studio in our shop and one day we had a track sprinter come in on a borrowed bike. It had s-works chainrings on it and when he'd get up near his max wattage he was flexing the rings so much the chain would fall off rather explosively. On his personal bikes he uses the old school areo dura-ace tt rings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Haven't purchased the setup yet - my standard praxis rings are perfect. But I was wondering if I ran a 110mm spider with praxis 52/36 if there would be a lot of flex in the system.

Ideally I would just run shimano's 4 bolt system but I don't have the option.
Just ride ..

boots2000

by boots2000

I highly recommend the 52/36- 5 bolt is fine.
Are you running SRAM?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Back on Specialized Boots - I ran the 52 36 for a few UCI races this year and was surprised how well it worked for me. But like I said it was the dura ace 9000 so of course there were zero issues with it - I even ran 53 \ 36 for a bit and it was fine.
Just ride ..

Barters

by Barters

Itsacarr can I ask were you on the 2015 S Works Chainset 53/36? I am waiting on my new S Works Tarmac Dura Ace to be delivered & it comes with this chainset.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I used the s-works ones yes and honestly they did the job fine but aren't near as nice as the praxis rings or felt as good as 9000 rings on a 9000 crank. The TEAM edition s-works rings are heavier duty and do the job.

Your splitting hairs here but if you weren't this wouldn't be the weight weenies forum I guess ;)
Just ride ..

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

ive got a similar set-up
SRAM Red 10 speed (2012 version) on my BH
FSA SLK Crank 110 BCD
Praxis 52/36 rings.
I has the FSA rings and they flexed a bit so I got the Praxis and have had no flexy issues. The shifting has also improved and I shed some grams too. So I guess I can say I am thoroughly satisfied with every aspect of the upgrade. Praxis makes some real quality product and is quickly becoming OEM product throughout the industry. Cant go wrong with it.
Also, I am in no way affiliated with Praxis.

boots2000

by boots2000

I have 2 bikes with Praxis 5 arm rings.
A road bike with a 7800 srm (with a bastard spider that takes 110mm rings in a normal pattern), and a cross bike with a Specialized srm.
Both work perfect.
And I have another bike with native 9000 rings so I would know if the Praxis were sub standard.

What components are you riding?

itsacarr wrote:Back on Specialized Boots - I ran the 52 36 for a few UCI races this year and was surprised how well it worked for me. But like I said it was the dura ace 9000 so of course there were zero issues with it - I even ran 53 \ 36 for a bit and it was fine.

dofman

by dofman

Never felt any chainring flex with a few 36-52 setups, but I might be just too weak..

aaric

by aaric

Praxis 36/52 and specialized 36/52 have both worked well for me. The older style sram red ones were flexy, and led to bad shifting.

The SRAM red exogram rings in 36/52 are plenty stiff as well, if a bit heavy - running them on my cross/rain bike atm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I am running 52/36 Q rings on my hollowgrams, having switched from 53/39. The switching is actually better. I can't detect any flex. Rotor have beefed up the rings to cope with the smaller BCD, so the combined weight of spider + rings is actually 10g more on the compacts.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;