New EE calipers :how wide?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

Picked up some 27mm wide aeolus 5 wheels. My planet x calipers are wide open. Lever pull has become very short. EE claims they accommodate up to 28mm wide rims. At that width can i set them up to give me more lever pull? I like the lever to pull almost to the bar before grabbing really hard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I have a set of 2014 ee's and Zipp 303 tubulars (26.4mm at the brake track). I set my breaks to lock at around 60-70% of the lever pull range, and there is still plenty of room for adjustments. So I think yes... You can make then work for you.

Enviado de meu A0001 usando Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

Craig supplies different washers/spacers to accommodate different rim widths. the wider the rim, the thinner the washer and in your case, i believe you take the washer out and leave the thin stainless one in. i have 25mm rims...and only use the thin black washer. there's another medium thick one and then, the thickest one for regular rims. that's in addition to other adjustments...and by using the washers, it allows for fine tuning for lever pull leverage.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

rcb78

by rcb78

If they are 27mm wide, I don't know that you'll be able to get them to engage that close to the bar. I recently picked up a set from Craig at EE and can't say enough good things about them. I've got them setup with no spacers on the pads and I'm running HED C2 rims (23mm). When I'm in the drops, I want to be able to pull off a full lock with one finger just before the lever touches my middle fingers still on the bar. That's where they are now. I think if you ran a 27mm wide rim, even with shims removed (like me), they would still engage about 1/4" sooner than what I describe. That said, I'd still take the plunge. I think they stop just as well as the DA9000 brakes they replaced, have excellent modulation and the cost/weight ratio is unbeatable at this level of performance. I weigh 210lbs and have seen how other weight weenie brakes flex just during the install process, tightening fasteners, etc. I feel safe with these. I don't know that I would get that feeling from any other brake short of maybe THM, and they are WAY out of my price range.

bikeridah

by bikeridah

This is good info. My 2015 Campy SR brakes don't clear my Enve 3.4/Conti 25s combo.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bikeridah wrote:This is good info. My 2015 Campy SR brakes don't clear my Enve 3.4/Conti 25s combo.

yeah.. my 2011 SR's didn't clear that combo either... my EE's are going on this monday.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Ozrider

by Ozrider

The new EEs are designed to work with wider rims
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Ok ordered a set. I cant take the feel of the planet x calipers anymore. They are fine with a standard width rim. With this setup I can lock up with only a inch of pull. Really annoying.