Rotor bottom bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timmy269

by Timmy269

I have bought Rotor BSA ceramic bottom bracket. I installed my 3D+ crankset, bur when i spindle it, it only goes 1 turn around. I thought it would be go smoother than my ultegra BB.

Could of be i have tot rode it a few kilometers or is thee something wrong?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

Bearings alignment issue, or you might have simly tightened the preload nut too much?

TimW

by TimW

I didn't need the spacer washer that is provided with the 3D+. If you've got that fitted, take it out and it might just sort things.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Even if there is a bit place between the preload nut and the BB it doesn,'t turn freely.
The alligment is fine, because with the previous BB of shimano, my crankset turnes freely.

With the BB of rotor are on each side of the BB a black seal to protect the bearings, could this be the problem?

Could it be that the grease in the new BB is to thick.

At my first post I said it was rough but I mean it doesn't turn not freely, just one turn.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I have/had the steel rotor bb with my 3D+ and the crank didn't spin more then one turn. At the moment I'm using the THM bb but I have new rotor BSA30 cubs (steel) coming Monday.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Frankie13 wrote:I have/had the steel rotor bb with my 3D+ and the crank didn't spin more then one turn. At the moment I'm using the THM bb but I have new rotor BSA30 cubs (steel) coming Monday.

That are the same as mine but in steel that you will have monday. Let me know how your crank spins when they are installed

cmus

by cmus

That's normal. My Rotor 4130 didn't spin freely either at first. It takes a couple of miles until the bearings are broken in, possibly because the grease is hardened at first. I tried spinning the cranks again when I swapped the chain, about 3000 miles later, and it spinned freely.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

cmus wrote:That's normal. My Rotor 4130 didn't spin freely either at first. It takes a couple of miles until the bearings are broken in, possibly because the grease is hardened at first. I tried spinning the cranks again when I swapped the chain, about 3000 miles later, and it spinned freely.

Oké, that's a good sign for my bearings :D

Timujin

by Timujin

Im having the same issue... installed a 4130 ceramic and my cranks dont even spin 1/3 revolution... should I worry?

it spins by hand fine and feels smooth.... im using a 3d+ (rotor power) chain set and the BB shell is 86.5mm so its a very tight fit...

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

I had this with a Rotor BSA30 bb with steel bearings, it didn't get better the bearings (Enduro) simply wore out. I discovered that Hope do their own BSA30 bb, I fitted one and it spun smoothly straightaway.

rjk8

by rjk8

Check your torque.
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

Krull

by Krull

Using rotor bb-1, 4624 and bsa/30, no problem with any of those, evedy bb works fine.

ironman1

by ironman1

Put 4130 in 86.5 BB and only crank only turned maybe 2 revolutions , very thick grease I assumed. 1500 miles later now spins 4-5 revolutions , better but far from the smoothness from HSC or THM bearings before.

Timujin

by Timujin

Thanks ironman1. I'm waiting for the ceramic speed press fit to be released which they told me was in September this year. I don't know why it comes packed with grease... 6g worth to be exact if the numbers of the BB numbers are correct from manufacturer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com