light, cost effective, decal-free cock pit...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Hi guys,

After a not-so-subtle warning last weekend (crash on black ice), I'm starting a new, low-cost project that will enable me to continue training through the winter without the worry of scratching my Parlee z-zero...school boy error :roll:

The frame is in progress (sort of), but I'm looking for some un-branded / decal-free, light weight (of course!) and cost effective finishing kit: bars, stem and seat post. The kit doesn't necessarily have to start off as decal free, but any experience of which components are easy to remove decals from would also be super helpful. I'll probably be building the parts list from ebay, or scouring the web for deals.

Any suggestions / advice would be welcomed!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

Marin

by Marin

Kalloy Uno stem (has its own thread on here), logos can be removed with aceton.

Carbon Bars & seatpost from ebay or aliexpress (search for "matte" or "no logo").

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Why not just buy what works for you and remove the decals?

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Thanks both. Both 'kalloy' and 'matte carbon' look like interesting choices, though i'm never too sure of lead times from China/Taiwan. I'm sure I ordered a camera battery some years ago that never actually turned up..!

@fijigabi - the only reason is that i'm not sure all decals are removable. I have Enve kit on my Parlee and i'm sure is the decals on the bars is baked on or something - certainly more than just a sticker.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If it's aluminum, you can remove it with a little acetone. On carbon, if the decals are under the clear coat, you can just remove the affected clear coat and decals with a razor and give it a light respray with some clear. There are plenty of guys on here who have done that.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

fantastic, thank you!

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

From exprience, it is very easy to remove the decals on the alu items from Syntace. The result is very clean and their parts are faithful.

madsedan

by madsedan

I just bought a Kalloy uno myself on ebay last week, will be using acetone to clean it up.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

whenever I order seatposts, stems from ebay (taiwan mostly) they turn up within 6-8 working days (from taiwan to EU).

BUT whenver I order anything from china, I feel lucky if I get my hands on them within 2 months :noidea:

Don't bother with chinese sellers, order from taiwan! :thumbup:

martinko

by martinko

I wonder how putting carbon handlebars on winter bike can seem to be cost-effective :-)

desperado95219

by desperado95219

I agree with the others. I have had no problem removing decals whether under the clearcoat or on top from any carbon components including Campy, Progfile, Ax Lightness, Clavicula, HED, MCFK, Lightweight, etc.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

K-Alloy Uno is light, cleans up quickly with acetone and is delivered very quickly by a seller whose name sounds a lot like favbike. 16 quid all in and 5 days delivery to Ireland.

F45

by F45

I want an Uno but they don't make a 17 degree.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I would agree to get the bars you want and sand the logos off. I have sanded and re-cleacoated my cannondale evo frame, two ritchey superlogic seatposts, a carbon matrix ritchey c260 stem, 3T ergonova ltd and the carbon bridge of a s works toupe. It is stupid easy.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Would +1 for Syntace stems being light, strong and decal-removable with a spot of acetone.

F109 is around that weight in grams (less for the 90mm version) and has Ti bolts - no rust and light etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com