Shimano ultegra 6800 front shifting issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Attermann

by Attermann

when i upshift on the front it works like a charm, but when i shift down, i need to press on the shifter twice to get it to the inner position, that can't be right? i have tried adjustning, but i don't know if it's normal or not.

or could it be the cable sticking somewhere?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

finnrambo

by finnrambo

Have you for sure checked cable tension? It's too early for the spring to be blown... if not tension then undo the cable and hold it with your fingers, next shift up and down to see if you feel any friction in the cables. If your frame is externally routed you can also do a visual check quickly.
Canadian Junior racer and Product Reviewer: Finn Blackburn
Blog: https://finnblackburncycling.wordpress.com/

Attermann

by Attermann

it has just enough tension to go up to the high stop, any lower tension and it will rub the chain on the 50/11 combination.

finnrambo

by finnrambo

Weird for sure! You can always clean the derailleur throughly as well if it's dirty just to see what happens?

GT56

by GT56

it is supposed to be like that, prevents the chain to fall over the small ring when shifting down

this is also the 1st trim position when running small (front) x small (rear)

Attermann

by Attermann

that is a huge letdown if it is like that, then i think that ultegra 6700 functions alot better with the front shifting.

finnrambo

by finnrambo

Whoops, sorry I thought you meant you had to put in big clicks. I have da9000, you get used to it although it was a bit weird coming off Sram.

GT56

by GT56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku6Y5XSpjFI

look at it this way: no need for a chain catcher

Attermann

by Attermann

thats the problem, thats pretty idiotic i think, i'm used to campagnolo, so i haven't had much experience with shimano, but no worries then, it's just the way it is.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Do you have the support bolt adjusted per the instructions? You shouldn't need to hit the button twice to get the FD to downshift.

Attermann

by Attermann

its a band on, not a braze on, off course i didn't mention that, but it shifts just like in the youtube clip.

chanthony

by chanthony

Check your support screw, and limit screws. Also, is your cable routed correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otoman

by otoman

Something is not adjusted right; I have 6800. When you click then release, the chain should drop onto the inner ring. A further tap will bring the FD all the way inboard. You should be able to shift with that first movement; You have something messed up on your cable alignment; Make sure the cable is routed properly at the attachment bolt of the FD. These FD's have that little "thingy" that needs to be oriented properly based on what angle the cable is coming from the BB area.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

F45

by F45

I had this exact problem with 5800 front shifting . Shimano replaced the shifter under warranty and now it works fine.

edit: both me and the lbs mechanic were pulling our hair out over it until a phone conversation with Shimano.

Attermann

by Attermann

otoman wrote:Something is not adjusted right; I have 6800. When you click then release, the chain should drop onto the inner ring. A further tap will bring the FD all the way inboard. You should be able to shift with that first movement; You have something messed up on your cable alignment; Make sure the cable is routed properly at the attachment bolt of the FD. These FD's have that little "thingy" that needs to be oriented properly based on what angle the cable is coming from the BB area.

thats just what it does, i just thought it neeeded to shift all the way in on the first try, it shifts to the small ring in the first try, then you need to press again to get the front mech to it's inner position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com