Help with my first race bike build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phollingswo

by phollingswo

So I’m building a new bike, mainly for racing. At the moment doing mostly crits, but hoping to do some road races later this year.

I’m trying to keep the cost down, so looking for bang for buck. I’ve bought some things, but not decided on everything. I’d appreciate some feedback from people as to whether what I’m planning sounds good, or if there’s anything else I should consider etc.

Bought
Wheels: Campagnolo Bora One Dark Label (£750 with new continental competition tires)
Groupset: Campagnolo Chorus 2015 Mechanical (£700ish through ribble)

To Buy
Frame: Canyon Ultimate CF SL (with their sponsoring deal £799)
Handlebars: 3T Ergonova Pro/Rotundo Pro
Saddle: Fizik Antares Versus

Pretty set on the Canyon at the moment due to price. I went to a bike fitter this weekend for a frame sizing. The 56 frame works well for me. With ergonova bars, then I’d need a 120mm stem, with the rotundos a 110mm stem. Really unsure on handlebars at the moment! I have more traditional shape now FYI.

Assuming the above, total build should be under £2,500.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Kit selection looks fine, but unsure as to why you're not buying a complete bike instead. For £2,500 (without sponsorship) you can almost get an Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Pro build with Record, albeit with relatively light Mavic alloy clinchers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phollingswo

by phollingswo

kkibbler wrote:Kit selection looks fine, but unsure as to why you're not buying a complete bike instead. For £2,500 (without sponsorship) you can almost get an Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Pro build with Record, albeit with relatively light Mavic alloy clinchers.

The SLX 9.0 with record is £3,399 if I'm not mistaken? That's an extra £900 which is quite a lot. That's money I can be putting towards a power meter. Also, I didn't want Record as the cost of replacing any bits in the event of a crash would be much higher than with the chorus.

I already have some campy training wheels, so didn't really want another set of alloys/the hassle of selling. I think the way I've done it should prove relatively cost effective for my needs.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Maybe because I'm looking at the website from outside of the EU but the price I see is USD 3,799. That's US dollars.

phollingswo

by phollingswo

kkibbler wrote:Maybe because I'm looking at the website from outside of the EU but the price I see is USD 3,799. That's US dollars.

Ah that'll be why. Crikey - that's rather good. I emailed them last week about FX rates and apparently they've stopped adjusting them frequently - so the price is fixed per season unfortunately.

Another point to make is that I want the experience of building the bike myself, picking the right components for me etc, and the whole process of actually assembling it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

phollingswo wrote:Another point to make is that I want the experience of building the bike myself, picking the right components for me etc, and the whole process of actually assembling it.

Yes!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ