Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 Clinchers Freehub.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

relanium

by relanium

I have a Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 Clincher rear wheel (Part No. 428490) which at the moment is running a 10 speed Dura Ace cassette, but I'm wanting to upgrade to Dura Ace DI2 11 speed, is this rear wheel upgradeable to take a 11 speed freehub body so I can fit an 11 speed Dura Ace cassette on.

Is it possible to fit a DT Swiss 11 speed Freehub Conversion Kit to the rear wheel?

synthesis

by synthesis

No and no, sorry but the only way you are going to get that wheel to take 11 speed is to use a Edco Monoblock cassette: http://edco.ch/products/accessoires/10s-into-11s.html

I work in a Bike Shop that has Trek as one of the brands we sell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

relanium

by relanium

I have seen this http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/DT-Swiss/11-Speed-Freehub-Conversion-Kit/2F38

And it says "Convert your 9 or 10 Speed DT Swiss rear hub to 11 Speed.
All DT Swiss 240s and 350 hubs with Ratchet System® can be converted to Shimano 11 speed using this kit."

upside

by upside

All you need is the DTSwiss 24011 speed freehub body and end cap. The end cap usually come when you buy the 11 sp freehub. I have done this one several Aeolus wheels a couple of years ago.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That's a very easy upgrade. That hub comes standard with a Superlight freehub, but can take either the regular (steel) or Superlight 11-speed hubs. No re-dish needed. It's a standard DT-Swiss 240 hub. All you will need is some cleaner to remove the old grease and some new hub grease to lightly coat the teeth.

One thing you can do to improve the hub is to throw a set of 54-tooth star ratchet. Although it's made by DT Swiss, it's only available from Trek (and sold as a mountain bike part, but works with all DT-Swiss 240 hubs). Look for part number 436413.

cajer

by cajer

How much is the 54 tooth ratchet?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

It ran me about $100, I think. I put it on my wife's bike and she loves them (mainly for the sound). They remind me of CK hubs (buzzing).

relanium

by relanium

I received an email from Trek saying that I would need this part (W431448) to make my rear wheel an 11 speed:-
http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/DT-Swiss/180-240-Road-Shimano-11-speed-Freehub-Body/394F

But it mentions that it may require re-dishing of the wheel.

What is the difference between both these hubs?
http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/DT-Swiss/11-Speed-Freehub-Conversion-Kit/2F38

Slack

by Slack

Hi,

I've been through all of this myself. I have a pair of D3 clinchers that are now running an 11 speed freehub body. They came from Trek fitted with a 10 speed body and an 11 speed in the box. I also own a pair of the Roval SL23 wheels that also use DT internals that were delivered in the same way. Working in a shop and have access to Madison's/Specialized and Treks B2B websites all the freehubs are the same as far as I can tell, but if you look at the cost prices they are supplied at there is a huge difference depending on who you buy if from. As far as I can work out Trek and Specialized will have access to OEM pricing as it is a spare part for their own hubs, where as with Madison you are paying for a DT spare, this will explain the variation in retail pricing. I regularly swap between 10/11 Shimano freehubs and 11 speed Campagnolo. There is a tiny dishing difference on the wheels, on mine is it less that 1mm. I can say that in over a years use I have had zero problems with either of the wheels. Also it was pretty much the deciding factor on my new wheels that having DT internals was an absolute must for ease of swapping between bikes.

I hope this helps.

Slack

by Slack

Just had a check on the prices, it's cheaper to buy it from Specialized than it is to buy it from Trek.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com