Frame Advice: Cervelo R5 vs BMC Teammachine SLR01

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new frame, upgrading from my Dengfu FM098.Right now I'm looking at the 2015 cervelo R5 and the 2015 (possibly 2014 if I can get a deal) BMC Teammachine SLR01.

I don't race anymore so I'm more concerned with comfort than aerodynamics, and since I'm a more of climber, I tend towards lightweight frames.

• From what I've read it seems like more or less a draw on weight (both sub 800g). The BMC frame set I could probably get for a bit less, but I'd end up needing a new crank so it would end up being more or less equal either way.

• The tour magazine test (http://www.cervelo.com/media/docs/Tour-Mag-3370aff0-217e-43b7-8024-8a305634944f-2.PDF) only has the two separated by around 30 seconds over 100km, so aerodynamically there doesn't seem to be much of a difference there either.

• Cervelo's warranty is lifetime vs BMC's at 5 years, but BMC's crash replacement program is 40% off (and publicized on their website) vs cervelo's, which is anecdotally anywhere from 15-35% but isn't anywhere on their site.

• Geometry-wise there isn't a huge difference. The cervelo is about 1cm shorter in terms of reach than both the BMC and my FM098, but that isn't a big deal. Stack heights are identical.

• Aesthetically I like both quite a bit, so I can't even separate them on that.

I'm going to go down to a bike shop that sells both in a couple weeks to try to test them both out, but wanted to see if anyone here has experience with both frames, or any other information to help simplify/complicate my decision.

Thanks!

finnrambo

by finnrambo

From my parking lot test I found the R5 to be stiffer but marginally so, I bet the BMC is more comfy though ;) Try them both out, different bikes for different people, you can't go wrong with any top end bike really.

I hope that somewhat helps, it's hard to find someone with a lot of experience with both bikes so you really are better off trying before you buy. If you can't try out a bike before getting it I'd look at bikes that you can try before buying.
Canadian Junior racer and Product Reviewer: Finn Blackburn
Blog: https://finnblackburncycling.wordpress.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Definitely helpful. Thanks for that.

I know of a shop where I can definitely try the R5. BMC there are less dealers around, but I'll find a way to try both before making a decision. I'm in NYC so it shouldn't be too hard finding a shop that's willing to let me take one for a spin. I know R&A carries them, but I've only ever heard bad things about that shop.

I've owned an R3 in the past (2012), so I think I have a pretty good idea of what the general ride characteristics should be for the R5 (I'm assuming it's basically a lighter, stiffer R3). It's the BMC that's the mystery, but I've only heard good things. If it is comfier though, that might win it for the slr01. I'm only 58-59kg, so I tend not to have flex issues with frames.

tinozee

by tinozee

I bought a bike from RA a few years ago, it was fine. I think it depends on who you deal with. I would email them and set it up, at least it's not awkward as walking in and asking. I never rode the BMC but I want to, and I hear only good things.

uraqt

by uraqt

So I had a R3SL that I fell in love with, ( and a lot of people loved it too). It was replaced with a 2015 R5 and it is just as nice, in fact it might be a little better. At this level it's very hard to tell what is "better" :)

I think you have a focus on the fit 1st and then demo bikes that are in the fit envelope :) and when I say demo I am talking real rides not just around the parking lot ...

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

The original R3 / R3SL was a nice one wasn't it? I still have my R3 and take it out for a spin every now and then. Still quite a nice ride and enjoyable. If I actually invested in upgrading its componentry (its on Dura Ace 7800) -- I could probably convince myself to turn it back to my primary ride. But alas, "upgrade-itis" and having the newest/shiniest thing is a powerful force.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium