Mavic Ksyrium SLR Vs Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

scottydonmitchell85 wrote:What ever you do, don't under any circumstance ride the fulcrum racing nites in the wet. After one ride caught out in the rain, the oxidation wore off. Not very happy with it at all. I'd post a photo but I've no idea how.

First post huh?

Do you work for Mavic or is it Shimano? :roll:

To the OP, there is not a whole lot in it, but as others have said Fulcrum hubs swing it
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

scottydonmitchell85

by scottydonmitchell85

sawyer wrote:
scottydonmitchell85 wrote:What ever you do, don't under any circumstance ride the fulcrum racing nites in the wet. After one ride caught out in the rain, the oxidation wore off. Not very happy with it at all. I'd post a photo but I've no idea how.

First post huh?

Do you work for Mavic or is it Shimano? :roll:

To the OP, there is not a whole lot in it, but as others have said Fulcrum hubs swing it

I don't work for either. Here's the damage Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scottydonmitchell85

by scottydonmitchell85

Here's my bike. I'll be interested to see how much long the oxidized coating holds on for.

superdx

by superdx

Wow that's pretty bad, I've ridden Exalith through a couple storms and there's some wear on the brake track but nothing like that. It almost looks sanded off.

ross

by ross

Yowch

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Thanks for the pics, I was just about to order a pair of Shamal Mille, think I'll hold off for now, was you using the supplied (blue?) pads.
Plasma braking surface looks not much better than cheap anodising, If they were mine I'd send them back, seems like they'll look real scruffy after few hundred kms.

scottydonmitchell85

by scottydonmitchell85

Tenlegs wrote:Thanks for the pics, I was just about to order a pair of Shamal Mille, think I'll hold off for now, was you using the supplied (blue?) pads.
Plasma braking surface looks not much better than cheap anodising, If they were mine I'd send them back, seems like they'll look real scruffy after few hundred kms.

I was using the correct pads. The anodizing in my opinion looks less then 1/2 mm thick, way too thin in my opinion. Unfortunately they say wear from riding in wet weather can cause wear and can not be replaced with warranty. If I was too buy a pair of wheels I'd definitely go with Mavic's over the Campag or Fulcrum. They just don't have there act together. Take it from my experience.

boysa

by boysa

scottydonmitchell85 wrote: They just don't have there act together.

This made my day.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Ritxis

by Ritxis

A Shamal Mille a roommate here in Spain, one day with rain, campagnolo warranty is not responsible
they have even threatened him by advertising for the theme

scottydonmitchell85

by scottydonmitchell85

So I emailed the place I bought my fulcrum nites. They pretty much admit that these wheels are not water proof. If could give anyone a piece of advice, keep well clear of fulcrum racing nites because there garbage. The coating is just for show and will ware off. Buy Mavics. Here's the email I received. Image

Grill

by Grill

These type of coatings always come off in the wet/gritty conditions. Take a look at Archetypes in black or grey. The coating lasts fine if babied in the dry but that's it. It doesn't in any way affect the braking power of the rim (as Fulcrum/Campag say). Grow up and stop being such a tart.

fa63

by fa63

Actually, not true. I have several friends with Exalith Mavic wheels, and the coating has stayed on even through the wet.

Archetypes and such cannot be compared because they are simply coated or hard anodized (which is different than the procedure Mavic use).

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Seconded. Mavics are fine in the wet - I've had 2 sets of Exalith SLRs myself, and know of many others who use them.

Bit annoyed that the coating on the Racing Zero Nites isn't as robust. Feel like I'll have to baby them now, whereas I could have bought Mavics and had no concerns. Little point in coating them if it comes off that easily.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Grill wrote:Errr... you're an idiot. These type of coatings always come off in the wet/gritty conditions. Take a look at Archetypes in black or grey. The coating lasts fine if babied in the dry but that's it. It doesn't in any way affect the braking power of the rim (as Fulcrum/Campag say). Grow up and stop being such a tart.

Insulting while comparing Exalith type of coating with Archetypes anodization makes you the idiot you know

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Wiggle prices - Campagnolo Shamal Mille £736.26
Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Dark label £589.95
So £146.31 premium for a coating that appears to be no better than anodising (but you do get a set of brake pads)

But then Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite is £944.99????? which for all intents and purposes is the same wheelset isn't it :noidea:
both have Campag/Shimano versions & ceramic bearings, have I missed something?