Mavic Ksyrium SLR Vs Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Question for anyone with Fulcrum Zeros (or Campy Shamals): Did your freehub get quieter over time? Mine started out super quiet, from the factory grease I'm sure. As time went on it loosened up, got louder and sounded "right" to me. Yesterday went on a ride and I couldn't even hear the freehub when coasting. On the workstand i'd say the volume is about half what it was last week. Cause for concern?

itguy

by itguy

I have the 2015 FRZ and it is very quiet too. When I am coasting behind my mates, they thought I got dropped :P

When I clean my bike, there is noticeable noise coming from the freewheel but is pretty much quiet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xplaza

by xplaza

This has happened to me with the last 2 pairs of modern Campy wheels during the last 2 years, Eurus and Neutron Ultra. The freehub sound goes from new, to "right", to almost silent, to quiet. And it keeps quiet also after several thousand kms.

I have never been worried but I remember some years ago they were going louder-dry faster. It feels like if the grease would now stay on place for a longer time.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Ok, thanks guys. That put's me at ease. Cheers!

liam7020

by liam7020

Ltoddokc wrote:Ordered from Bike-discount.de

Did you manage to get a weight for the Fulcrums before mounting the tyres and cassette? Ta
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

liam7020 wrote:

Did you manage to get a weight for the Fulcrums before mounting the tyres and cassette? Ta

f 610/r 820g

Delorre

by Delorre

Ltoddokc wrote:
liam7020 wrote:

f 610/r 820g

Mine are 630 and 830, ordered online in he Netherlands for <900€. A little bit disapointed with the weight though. Coming from Shamal Ultra's, the feel is the same, the different spoke patern compared to the Campa's don't seem to make any difference. The rear one seems to squeel when braking moderately from high speed, and only when the front brake is applied at the same time. None make any sound when brakes are not used together. :?: Blue brake pads that came with the wheels wear down very fast, although only used in the dry for now.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Delorre, I had the same squealing with the rear but toeing-in the pads by placing a business card between the rim and the rear of the pad made it go away.

airsky

by airsky

I owned 2012 Zero which was sold recently and planning upgrade to zero nite.

The older zero hub will get louder as the cult bearing run in and wheel spin more freely.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

new pics without arrow decals. Looks better in my opinion:

scottydonmitchell85

by scottydonmitchell85

What ever you do, don't under any circumstance ride the fulcrum racing nites in the wet. After one ride caught out in the rain, the oxidation wore off. Not very happy with it at all. I'd post a photo but I've no idea how.

Dirty32

by Dirty32

Agreed ^^. Look a whole heap better without those tacky arrow decals.
Way better!

Now... Get some spiderings onto that SISL crank, and that bike is finished!
Looks nice, otherwise. Those FSA rings always make a bike look unfinished, to me.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Dirty32 wrote:Agreed ^^. Look a whole heap better without those tacky arrow decals.
Way better!

Now... Get some spiderings onto that SISL crank, and that bike is finished!
Looks nice, otherwise. Those FSA rings always make a bike look unfinished, to me.

Thanks! Did have spiderings but they're not compatible with the power meter so they're going on eBay. Have since switched the fsa rings for praxis rings. Shifting is a lot better and looks better too. I'll post a pic when I'm back from vaca.

That's not the first time I've heard about the rim coating wearing off. Really disappointing, but a good excuse to switch to Zipp 303's...

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Surprised that the fulcrums don't do so well in the wet. I have a pair of r-sys slr tubulars and while I don't find them very stiff laterally, the breaking in the wet is exemplary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com