Time frame advice etc; VXRS vs. RXRS vs. ZXRS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamblichus

by iamblichus

hey everyone. i am posting in the hopes of getting some advice on purchasing my next bike.

i have been riding and racing an x-small time rxrs for 2 years now. it has served me well, but it is a little too small for me and i'm ready to ride a slightly larger bike.

i love what is now becoming old school: the look, the feel, and the ride of lugged carbon bikes. i also love time. this rxrs is my third time bike. so the frame options i am considering at the moment...

1. an rxrs in size small. a shop in ca has a new one in a color i like for a good price. the downside: one of the reasons i bought the x-small rxrs is because it was clearly stiffer than the small rxrs where the TT meets the HT. so i am not sure that going with this option is ideal.

2. the zxrs in size small. the zxrs is not fully lugged, but it rides like a time and i certainly don't dislike it. it's stiffer than the small rxrs at the TT/HT junction for sure, but it's also several hundreds of dollars more than the small rxrs.

3. a near mint, but used, vxrs worldstar in small. i can get it for a good price, i love the way it looks, but i have never ridden one. there is no chance that i could test ride this frame/bike. i am considering taking a chance on this vxrs, so...

my major question: is there anyone on WW who has experience racing a vxrs worldstar? obviously, it was a great race bike in its day, but does it measure up to bikes today? how does it compare to the rxrs? or the zxrs? i am not a big sprinter or a lightweight climber, just a 155lb aspiring puncheur.

any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

p.s. i just spoke with a friend whose been racing for nearly 30 years, he says i should consider a c59 or 60. i'm not really sure how i'd do that. the closest colnago dealer is close to two hundred of miles away. that and a c60 appears to be going for 6k+ here in the us.

kgt

by kgt

I 've heard that vxrs is not that stiff with current standards. That does not mean it is not still a great frame.
If you can accept a lugless TIME I think the new Skylon is something unique. Stiff (BB386), aero, responsive, smooth... among the top frames available.
C60 is also a golden standard but I am sure Skylon is as good.

A recent greek review you may translate:
http://www.mbike.gr/article.asp?catid=4 ... ubid=14352

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

If you weif you weigh 175 pounds the front end of the vxrs may not be stiff enough for you. But iit will still provide a super confortable ride.
ms

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I agree with ktg: go with the Skylon - its unique, beautiful and also truly contemporary. At the end of the day the possession of lugs is a minor detail, whats most important is how the frame rides.

I believe cycling technology does progress and that bikes are getting better with each iteration. Because of that belief, it doesnt makes sense to go a step backward to the VXRS or even to the ZXRS (but see my review of it on this forum). For me even the ZXRS wasnt stiff enough (in the BB) so by going monocoque the Skylon should at least partially address the ZXRS's weaknesses. If you love Time, support them and buy the Skylon. Then write a review of it ;)
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3